• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

c172

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Everybody has there own opinion, mine is the safety of my students. I have no quams myself flying the 152 infact I did all my ratings in one and have spent about 600hrs in it. To this date I have been and instuctor for two years and have a good pass rate. I have given over 450 hrs of instruction and have determined that the 172 makes for a safer environment for my students. Better equipment, performance, more room, quicker times to get the private. Now that was the answer to the original post ok. I think the mighty 152 is great plane in it's own rank, it's more fun, cheaper, and a little more forgiving on those hard nose wheel landings. There both planes are equal no one wins.

More forgiving on nosewheel landings? Well, that about says it all, doesn't it? Why not make it more forgiving when running into brick walls or trees? That's somewhat like saying an car with airbags is more forgiving when running into the back of a bus.

Don't make nosewheel landings. Don't allow students to do it either. A student properly taught won't do it. The problem comes of failure to properly teach. THe firewall will bend just as eaily on a 152 as on a 172 on a hard nosewheel landing, and it will do similiar damage to the engine mount. It will also damage the strut, and wreak havoc with the Lord shimmy dampner.

Do you honestly believe that Cessna stopped production on the 152, or didn't resume it, because of safety issues? You're far too new to aviation to make such ridiculous insinuations if you really don't know. It's a matter of economics. Strictly economics. The 152 has never been considered a safety risk, and never will be, except by those who lack the basic skills to operate it safely.

Do you really believe that if the engine has "one little burble" on takeoff that "that's it?" Come on! You probably don't require students to land without power, or pull engines away from the airport, either. I'm reminded of instructors I've seen who ended up in a spin with their students, and came back to the office white as a ghost and shaking. Such folks have no business being in the air with a student. An instructor who is afraid of the airplane shouldn't be in it.

The 152 has a fine climb rate for a trainer. You're perhaps thinking of a 150 at higher density altitudes. In any event, 200-300 fpm isn't a bad thing, especially in a trainer. Frankly, I operated a large four engine airplane professionally that could only do 100 fpm when loaded, and did it quite safely. If I had only experience in aircraft with ample performance, then I'd have been in a world of hurt. However, I came from a background where my training used airplanes that required a mile or so after the runway just to get up enough to retract the flaps and climb over the powerlines and be on my way. That's where training begins...when the student doesn't have everything done for him or her.

There's nothing wrong with a 172. There's nothing wrong with a 152. To make the suggestion that the 152 is remotely dangerous shows a great ignorance, and suggests a deeper problem than simple distrust of the machine. Thousands upon thousands of instructors, and hundreds of thousands of students, have flown in that airplane for hundreds of thousands of hours...with little or no complaint.

A poor carpenter blames his tools. It's not the tool.

I guess I hit a soft spot in avbug by giving my opinion. I thought that is what this board was for. If you refer back to the original question about training in the 172, I was simlpy giving some of it's advantages. And as far as bashing someones credentials for having an opinion I think you need to vent somewhere else. you don't have the stightest idea who I am or what kind of instructor I am. I love my job and I do it well. And to reiterate I am simply saying that the 172 makes for a better trainer in my OPINION. On average my students flying the 172 have been finishing with about 15 less hours, I not just making this up. And as far as your comment on nose wheel landings I don't baby sit my students I let them make mistakes so they will know what to do when I am not in the plane. Quit taking my comments and turning them into insults. I hope you feel better about yourself for making those comments.

I dont think Avbug is out to personally insult you

Its just that when a flight instructor calls a 152 a dangerous airplane it makes us all a little nervous. Also the comment about being more forgiving on nosewheel landings is odd.

Its about where youve been and what you have seen. I have pulled banners so big the rate of climb was measured in feet per hour so its all relative. That might make some people nervous but those that are nervous about flying a 152 may want to rethink their career choice.

dougal28:

Avbug was responding to statements presented by you. No one has knocked your credentials, but do disagree with some of your opinions.

As far as, "I don't baby sit my students I let them make mistakes so they will know what to do when I am not in the plane."

I hope you are teaching them proper landing technique from day 1.

I done with this one, now I've got someone telling me to rethink my career b/c I think the 172 is a better trainer. Once agiain I don't think the 152 is dangerous I like my students to fly 172's. And to answer the other question about proper landing technique I not even going there, b/c hopefully as a fellow instructor you know what I am talking about. Now the nosewheel deal, as you know the 172 has a more power stronger nose strut due to increased weight from the engine. This factor in my experience can cause greater rebound effect if the student happens to not touchdown properly, which they will do. Please get a grip people.

I trained in a 150, and then purchased it from its owner. I love the 150 It's the last "affordable" airplane. There is very little difference in the performance between a 150 or 152. They are basically the same plane with a few horses more, and a few gallons more usable fuel.

What makes a 150-152 a great trainer is the fact that they do requre power management. You cant firewall the throttle and get out of trouble like with a 180hp 172's. Try flying one of the early models with the 6 cylinder Contenal. I think they give something like 145hp. They are basically just as power starved as the 150.

Why do you think so many people learned on the J-3 Cub. It certainly never had a surplus of power. The fact is, if one ever get in an emergency, he will most likely be flying without power, so the lessons learned in a 150 are valuable.

152s are one of the best trainers that you can get. I spent most of my training in a 152, spent a little in the J-3 and I loved it all. They are both perfectly safe or else I wouldn't have flown in them.

as you know the 172 has a more power stronger nose strut due to increased weight from the engine. This factor in my experience can cause greater rebound effect if the student happens to not touchdown properly

Can you explain "rebound effect"

They never covered that when I learned to fly

By the way the difference in weight between an O-235 and an O-360 is about 50 Lbs. I doubt it makes that much of a difference in the "rebound effect" when your students plow the nose gear onto the runway

Latest resources

Back