C-21

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

maverick_fp00

A buddy of mine is in UPT going through the T-1 training. On his dream sheet he is going to put down C-21 as his number one choice. He really wants a cockpit picture of a C-21. If anybody has a web site for me, that would be awesome!

Thanks!!!

I flew C-21's for 4 years, it's the military version of the Lear 35. Try the Lear website.

Well, I know that. Only thing is, I was almost positive that the Lear 35 cockpit is probalby a little different than the Air Force's cockpit.

So, how did you like flying the C-21s? What type of stuff? Could you just tell me about a little bit?

Thanks man!

C-21's - I almost forgot

Mav,

Pardon that I haven't posted since last summer (when Delta stopped hiring) and that you have no idea who I am (though many long time readers may).

I flew C-21's at Norton, March, Scott, and Keesler AFB from 1990 to 1998. Though I thought I had been assigned to purgatory out of UPT; C-21's are one of the best assignments available. Everyone who ever flies them will do anything to stay in them.

The mission is basically that of a mini-charter service. You will be assigned flying on a given number of days per month that will position you to pick someone up (4-Star Generals to Enlisted) and then reposition you to do it again for someone else. Whe I flew operationally we only flew 3 and 4 stars, but things have changed a bit since then. Sometimes, you will stay with the same VIP for several days in a row.

Advantages: Quick Updgrade to PIC, lots of time into and out of Major hubs (depending on base of assignment), little extended TDY (10-15 days a month), and a great mix of military and civilian experience.

Disadvantages: Delayed upgrade to IP in MWS for those desiring a Military career.

SimuFlite used to have a great set of pictures, but they's been purchased recently and changed a lot of their stuff http://www.cefcorp.com/simuflite/aircraft/ac_lear35.html ); they do the simulator training for the C-21.

The Schoolhouse/RTU is at Keesler AFB, MS. I tried to link the website, but it's coming back as unreadable (as as many of the others within the AF). You can also try the units at Andrews, Maxwell, Randolph, Scott, and Offut AFB.

Please have your friend email or private message me directly with any questions. I will gladly answer any you have.

I wish you success!
Bill Mostellar

Bill,

Glad to see you're still hanging around these parts. I've talked with you a few times back on the original board. Hope everything is going well for you over at Delta, or at least as well as can be expected given the conditions. Strange times.

Fly Safe
ck130

C-21A

I currently fly C-21As out of RND. If your bud has questions have him e-mail me. Great job like Bill said but there is a Saudi tour and alot of micro managing like all planes these days...

Thanks!

ck130 said:
Bill,

Glad to see you're still hanging around these parts. I've talked with you a few times back on the original board. Hope everything is going well for you over at Delta, or at least as well as can be expected given the conditions. Strange times.

Fly Safe
ck130

Strange Times indeed. It's been a while.

I took an extended break after we (Delta) stopped hiring and the problems in Sep. I was 1,568 from the original bottom, so if it goes the full 1,700 I'll be on the street. For now, I'm being displaced to the 727 right seat in March and probably the MD88 this summer/fall. We'll see.

I wish you success!

Hehe I think Bill gave me my first checkride in the C-21 :)

He's right--it's a great assignment. Fairly "hi-tech" aircraft, two-person crew so you learn a lot of CRM skills right away, fast upgrades, and some very high-powered passengers.

Best kept secret in the C-21 world: Ramstein. You'll fly into every major capital in Europe, in all kinds of weather, and a lot of resort-type places as well. Even Africa and Russia are possible. Can't think of a better first assignment for a young pilot.

Wasn't too bad an assignment for an old crusty guy trying to stay one step ahead of the desk-filling bean-counter types either ;)

The guys I know who did C-21s as a first assignment all "caught up" very quickly in their next aircraft. After all, in the C-21, at the end of 3 years, you may well be an instructor, while the comparable C-130 or C-17 driver is probably a junior aircraft commander at best.

As a counterpoint, sometimes oddball assignements like C-21s can be dead spots in one's career. Of course, a lot of the most fun flying assignements are. Personally, my advice would be to get established in a major weapons system early in your career and progress as fast as you can. Steer clear of UPT IP assignments and small non-career track aircraft. IMHO only, though.

Simu-Flite C-21

I did some training out in DFW in the Lear 25 sim. They alternate the LR-25 and C-21 sim every week to train military guys. I think I saw it once before they converted it and it looked like a stock LR-35, I think, this was a while ago.

LR-25

Latest resources

Back