Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFINY

Hello all,
A month ago I had bypass surgery done on my heart. I feel very good now.
I was wondering, what I would have to do to get my 2nd. class medical
back. I know, talk to my doctor so he can explain all that...
But still, I want to ask you guys b/c I think some of you were in the same
situation trying to get medical cert. back after having bypass surg.
Thanks very much.

Next to impossible... plus the costs for as these tests are NOT covered by insurance as these are not medically required tests.. and these tests will have to go on a 6 month freq for the rest of your flying career... not to mention the meds that can really make you tired.. speaking from experience on this matter.. Think dispatching... :)

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Not only is it possible to get your medical back but a first clasa after heart attack and bypass is doable. Yes the meds can make you tired but that can be overcome. Question you have to ask yourself is, how bad do I want it? If the answer is "bad", then contact Pilot Medical Solutions at www.leftseat.com and no I don't work there. Been through the entire ordeal myself and currently hold a 1st class.

Sorry I came across as confrontational. Your "know it all" comments that were dead wrong and just totally shut down this poor guy who just had bypass sugery illicited a strong response.
Like I said, if you want it bad enough it can happen. Requires applying annually for a special issuance medical which requires annual stress tests, blood work, cardiac eval, etc. Also for 1st class, a clear angiogram is required six months post bypass. FAA won't even consider any of this untill a six month waiting period post bypass.
FYI, all of these tests are covered by insurance as medically required as cardiac follow-up. The assistance of a group like Pilot Medical Solutions is critical to success. There is cost involved, but again " how bad do you want it".
Overcoming the affects of meds is simply a function of exercise and pushing oneself.
My personal situation is : after heart attack and bypass both, was able to get certified 1st class; then flew 121 as captain B727 and MD80. Currently flying as captain for a fractional.
Anyone who has experienced such a medical setback shoul be encouraged to pursue their dream and not given false info. I personally know a pilot with one arm who recently was re-certified to fly jets.

Good on you JetMaster.
I had major heart surgery and was back in less than 6 months.
Really depends on each individual situation.
How bad do you want it?

Latest resources

Back