Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cocknbull

Mineta: US, EU Close to Open Skies Deal

Fri May 21, 9:28 AM ET Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

PRAGUE (Reuters) - The United States and the European Union (news - web sites) are getting close to agreeing an 'open skies' deal to free up their transatlantic aviation market, U.S. Transport Secretary Norman Mineta (news - web sites) said on Friday.

The EU has been taking a tough line in talks aimed at clinching a European Union-wide deal to liberalize the market, replacing the current patchwork of U.S. agreements with individual EU member states.

Speaking to reporters during a visit to Prague, Mineta said he met last week with EU officials to discuss the deal and that "we really moved the agreement quite a bit."

"I think we are very close to doing that (working out the details of an agreement)," Mineta told reporters during a visit to the Czech capital.

"I am more than hopeful. I just feel very strongly we will be able to have the details of this agreement wrapped up so that our leaders will be able to sign it at the summit in June," he added, referring to an EU-U.S. summit due to be held in Dublin on June 25-26.

The EU side has said that for a deal to be done the United States must open some of its domestic routes to European airlines, but the Bush administration has refused, saying that opening up it domestic market to foreign carriers would require legislative changes it is not prepared to seek.

Instead Mineta said that the U.S. is proposing to raise the allowable foreign ownership limit on U.S. airlines to 49 percent from the current 25 percent.

However, the issues of 'cabotage', the right of a foreign airline to fly domestic routes in another country, and 'establishment', the right of a foreign carrier to establish a domestic airline in another country, were "off the table."

"Both, from a legislative perspective, would be very difficult to get passed in Congress...That was something I would not be able to have as part of the discussion involving this agreement."

Mineta said that the foreign ownership level change must be approved by Congress, but he was confident the legislation would be passed.

cocknbull said:

However, the issues of 'cabotage', the right of a foreign airline to fly domestic routes in another country, and 'establishment', the right of a foreign carrier to establish a domestic airline in another country, were "off the table."

"Both, from a legislative perspective, would be very difficult to get passed in Congress...That was something I would not be able to have as part of the discussion involving this agreement."

At least in an election year...

Oh my God! A slaystack!

Don't worry.

It's the gold sleestack. He's a good guy. The thought of those green ones kept me up at night when I was a kid though.:eek:

Frac daddy,

Thanks, I knew Mineta wouldn't allow that---and you are probably right--for now anyway. I also like that sleestack! That was an awesome show---"The land of the Lost"---I can't believe they survived that fall down that waterfall! Amazing.

Bye Bye--General Lee;)

Pagusani Chaka!

BA still flies a Houston-Chicago flight and then Chicago - London. I'm not sure how they do this -- probably a code share with AA - but I would still call it "cabotage of sorts."

A while back Delsey Airlines (no more) was flying JFK - BOS and onwards to Belgium.

China Airlines, I believe, flies into Anchorage and then onwards to U.S. Destinations.

These might be complex scenarios but it brings forth the question of why we are opposing cabotage in the first place -- and why operations like the ones mentioned above continue on a daily basis!

BA used to do SAN PHX LHR as well. They just picked up in SAN and the pax had to continue to LHR. Foreign airlines can stop at intermediate locations along the way and add pax just can't transport a pax between two points within the US.

Dutch

Latest resources

Back