• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Building Multi-Engine time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There were enough ME students for me and you wouldnt believe how many of them wouldn't dream of becoming a CFI. So I got all that ME time in my logbook and no people trying to compete with me for it. They were just like all of you, trying to get a right seat with only 10-20 hours of ME time, also wanting to buy their time with a friend, etc. I don't know about all of you, but everybody I've talked to who is or was at a regional said that the HR dept. prefered CFI's as opposed to people who just flew around with friends of flew daddy's Baron for 100+ hours. They wanted to see people actualy using their Comm certificates. That's something to think about.

right

You are right Alaska. Craig Washka of Airnet Express and I wre talking about this last night.

They prefer CFI's.

On the other hand, you have the time or you do not. CFI or not.

So you're flying a citation at 490 hours? Single pilot IMC at 490 hours too? Your company must have a hell of an insurance policy. No way that would EVER hapen up here.

If you live in South Florida and you speak spanish you can join "Brothers to the Rescue" to look for Cuban rafters... They fly Cessna Skymasters... you know, the ol' "push me pull you". Don't laugh, there's a few pilots down here that are now flying big jets because they did that to build multi time instead of the old MEI way.:)

What I meant was that if you conviced all those people that buy their multi to be MEIs, there wouldn't be enough students. Sure it worked for you, but I don't believe that 100% of the people trying to get with airlines can get 180 hours as MEIs. Some people will always have to buy time. Some instructors aren't in a position to get multi at their current employment.

BTW, you don't have to insult everyone. I haven't bought more then a few hours of multi since my MEI, and that was to stay current. The rest of my time is dual given.

Alaska said:
There were enough ME students for me and you wouldnt believe how many of them wouldn't dream of becoming a CFI. So I got all that ME time in my logbook and no people trying to compete with me for it. They were just like all of you, trying to get a right seat with only 10-20 hours of ME time, also wanting to buy their time with a friend, etc. I don't know about all of you, but everybody I've talked to who is or was at a regional said that the HR dept. prefered CFI's as opposed to people who just flew around with friends of flew daddy's Baron for 100+ hours. They wanted to see people actualy using their Comm certificates. That's something to think about.

My 2 cents

"I work seven days a week. Five days in my corporate job and two days as a jump pilot. I chose not to go the CFI route because of family and income considerations. Working as a jump pilot allows me to build my PIC time and still provide what my family needs by keeping my weekday job. "

Been there. Done that too.

For 18 months I worked M-F and then flew at my DZ Sat & Sun all day till sunset. When I got the chance, I built my multi time via the Lenair Aviation twin program at SNA. Shared Aztec time, IFR all over the LA basin. I think it's about $85/hr pp or (100 for $7900) and they set you up with your safety pilot. I found their airline oriented flight proceedures & checklists a help when I got into the sim after landing a job.

Nobody else can decide what's best for you. Check their deal out. Maybe it will be worth it for you.

Good Luck.....

Last edited:
I also tried to build time flying jumpers on the weekends while I was a 121 dispatcher. It took forever, and I knew it wouldn't work, as it was mostly single engine. I ended up instructing full time, and they were all multi students and ATP applicants. I guess I did both then.

Tomorrowat 2pm

This is the stuff we will be talking about tomorrow, give us a call.

Wednesday at 2pm, AvCAreer.TV will be discussing low time pilot training programs and concepts with Mitch Mitchelson from TabExpress International . Call with your questions or email [email protected].

Publisher,

There is nothing worse than reading a thread, and come across a post that is an advertisement. Post your propaganda elswhere. There is a reason for the classified section.

best regards.

Latest resources

Back