• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Bombardier bask to work, Comair update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I'm not sure why anyone would be upset at getting the 70 seater as a new hire. You probably won't be able to be a captain for two years anyway, and the pay is higher. You will also be on reserve in either aircraft. I believe the seat lock is for a year, and if you can then hold a FO line in the 50 seater, then come on over. Or, you could stay in the higher pay and bid captain in both aircraft. Good luck to all.

Hay I agree with ya SKY:)
JUST SHOW ME THE AIRPLANE:) 50 seater or 70 seater, Bring it on..I WOULD FLY IT LIKE A HAPPY MAN. I guess you can tell i am a EAGLE furlough...Hope to see you guys soon in the ground school...

CRJ-700

skydiverdriver said:
I'm not sure why anyone would be upset at getting the 70 seater as a new hire. You probably won't be able to be a captain for two years anyway, and the pay is higher. You will also be on reserve in either aircraft. I believe the seat lock is for a year, and if you can then hold a FO line in the 50 seater, then come on over. Or, you could stay in the higher pay and bid captain in both aircraft. Good luck to all.

The first batch of folks were indeed relatively new, but most that I had spoken with personally did NOT want to go into the aircraft right away. As for the pay issue, 1st year is no difference whatsoever. 2nd year, the is only a 3 dollar per hour difference between the two airplanes. While true, they would be on reserve, they would have much more opportunity to fly on the 50 seater due to the sheer number of airplanes. After speaking to the crew planning folks extensively, it was then I personally decided not to bid the 70 seater. I was told that for awhile, the schedules would be notoriously inefficient due to the small number of aircraft. It would be very easy to make more money on the 50 seater for awhile until we get a sufficient amount of 700's. As I understand from some of the folks that were JA'd, if you would bid back to the right seat of the 50 after leaving the 70, there would be either a 2 or 3 year seat lock. If true, I am sure this was done to prevent jumping between the 2 airplanes. I also dont believe that there will be any jumping between the two airplanes. If you are a 700 CA, you will not be flying the 50 seater.

SDD,

Read your contract, 12 month initial freeze then if you bid down in pay there is a 36 month seat lock. i.e. 70/fo to 50/fo....... That = 4 years and your upgrade # will come up before then, not a smart move in my opinion. Section 23.0 page 23-16. Just my $0.02.

Regards,
Shafted

SDD

I dont' think you'd be able to hold 70 Captain until the year 2034. It's a rather senior aircraft. As for bidding over to 50 seat FO, not a swift move in my opinion. You're seat locked for darned near an eternity. Your best bet is to wait and bid 50 seat captain as soon as you could hold it. Could be anywhere from 2-3 years depending upon growth, etc.

Other than that, getting 70 seat as a new hire is not to shabby.

You need 500 hours with the company to upgrade. That could take forever sitting reserve on the 70 and that's assuming you had all the other numbers to upgrade. If you also needed a 1000 more TT you would be stuck forever. A new hire will sit reserve on the 50 for less than a year and a line holder in the 50 will make more than a reserve in the 70. More than 11 FO's bid the 70 but only 11 were picked because a lot of them, me included, put in conditional bids that wouldn't select us unless we could hold the upper 50% seniority. In other words if we couldn't hold a regular line we didn't want it.

I really get the feeling that since the bid came out for the 70, and now recinded, eveyone got a look at how senior the 70 CA went, I can't imagine the bottom of those senior CA's bidding for it again knowing they will be on reserve forever, I feel that they may have to junior assign new CA's to the 70. remember, there will only be 27, so it is a dead end.

if I was Seniority#16 on down as a Capt. I wouldn't go for the 70, If there are 30 seats.
What do fellow CMR guys think?

Us new CA's might end up there? I don't have my contract in front of me...

Just curious...how many 70 seaters are expected to be delivered this year? I didn't even think of the potential downside to getting the new plane right off the bat....interesting posts.

Guam360,

Personally I wouldn't mind being junior-manned as a CA into the 70. I live in CVG and sitting reserve in domicile is a totally different ballgame than commuting. I'll gladly take the 75 hour Captains pay and stay home most of the month. Plenty of time for golf and the money to enjoy the free time. Now, if I wanted PIC to move on to a major that would be a different story, but $60K @ year to hang out at home isn't a bad deal at all.

Got a letter in the mail today from sharon jones today talking about the strike and the fact that new hire classes have been postponed. No real news I guess, but it's nice that they sent it out.

She said they continue to interview and will keep us informed as soon as class dates become available.

Anyone else get the letter?

Latest resources

Back