Bill O'Reilly's take on AirportScreeners

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Hi, I'm Bill O'Reilly. Thanks for watching us tonight.

We would like to welcome our new viewers in England and Ireland on Sky Digital. We hope you like The Factor. And no Guinness while we're on the air.

As you may know, I have promised to periodically update you on the situation at American airports, and that's the subject of this evening's Talking Points Memo.

Last week, I flew from Newark to Fort Myers, Florida. No problems at all. Everybody at Continental Air was great. Then I flew Delta from Sarasota to Atlanta, again a smooth trip. One middle-aged woman working security at Sarasota was a bit power-mad, but that was it. From Atlanta I flew to San Diego, perfect flight on Delta, no problems at security.

But on the way home to New York, I had to fly out of Los Angeles on United Airlines. Uh-oh. On Saturday morning, the lightest travel time of the week, there were huge lines at the United ticket counter. Then at security, the foolishness began. They put my light canvas bag through the security machine twice. Then they used the wand on it. Still not satisfied, they opened the bag, with my permission, and removed everything in it, including dirty clothes and toiletries.

The woman who did this kept up a running conversation with her security buddy and was in no hurry. After about 10 minutes of her looking at my shaving cream container and stuff, she began wildly throwing folded shirts back into the bag. Since I had to wear those shirts upon arrival in New York, I asked her to please place them in the bag the way she had taken them out.

She sneered. I asked for her supervisor. He sneered. And then he asked me to take off my shoes, which I did. They both then conferred, and I asked to talk with the Los Angeles policeman who was standing a few feet away. They quickly zipped up my bag and asked me to leave.

But before I did, I wrote down their names.

The problem here is power. Some security screeners are drunk with it. Many of these people are ill educated, lack discretion, and common sense. Want more? An 86-year-old war hero was hassled at security in Phoenix because he was carrying his Congressional Medal of Honor. A screener thought he could use it as a weapon. Eighty-six.

And in New York City, a screener confiscated a box cutter from the passenger but failed to search him further. He was reexamined when he changed planes in St. Louis. Two more box cutters were found. Screener was fired, the guy arrested.

The entire problem could be greatly diminished if the airlines would simply station an experienced employee at the security checkpoints. United had no one I could speak with. And if it weren't for the cop, I'd still be standing at LAX, shoeless, with my underwear scattered all over the place.

American air travelers deserve the best security possible, and that means not having fools working the ropes.

And if the airlines and the FAA are too cheap to hire intelligent people, then at least make sure a representative is on the scene to look out for the customer.

And that's the memo.

WHAT THE POINT?

WHAT IS YOUR POINT I GUESS I'M LOST ?????????

Well I must say well said Bill, sometimes I agree with him sometimes I don't on this one I agree with him. My mom has similar impression of the security screeners (shes flys commerical way more than I).

Sarasota hmmm I useto live there, on average that airport gets two flights a day (actaully more but not a signifcant number except for times during the fall) why would the surcuirty be so high. During X-mas break I was there helping my mom return her rental car, and there are cones everywhere (I remember before Sep 11th I could park my car in the arrival section and go inside to eat). oh well everything has to change.

This is the way it is going to be from here on out.

The folks at Eclipse and Safire might just have a perfect market to sell their "personal jets" in a few years after certification. But, your still going to have to go through security to get to your own plane onless your based out of Billy Bo's private asphalt strip.

I agree with Bill some of these people are a little crazy. The other day going through security at JfK in uniform, I took everything off as usual, shoes, jacket, calclator, beeper, shoes but I forgot my cell phone. Just before I went through the detector I remembered and took the cell phone off and threw it in the plastic container. The lady said," I would never want to fly with a captain so absent minded." Then when I went through security I had to unzip my pants and undo my belt. It was Sunday morning and I guess they felt they had the power of the U.S. government behind them they were now Government employee's. It has been great the last couple of months, hope that it doesn't get insane again.

I get the point now

I would had to say to her if was not for the lack of your mind you would be flying the jet not here with your not so smart mouth! ooooo buy the way have a nice day :D :D :D :D

c172,

You have lost me now.....

UH??

Leave him alone. He probably went to public schools.

Latest resources

Back