Bill of Lading

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

alimaui

Okay, I was asleep during my multitrans class the day they talked about a Bill of Lading.

Would some kind soul remind me what this is? Perhaps one of you freight dogs? ;)

Thanks so much!

Ali

Here's an example. As a caveat, you should remember that I don't have a clue what I'm talking about.

Bills of lading were commonly employed in the thirteenth century. They may have accompanied bills of exchange which were used as instruments of credit in order to economize in the shipment of specie. Freight charges are stated in this contract.

April twenty-fourth in the year of the Incarnation of the Lord 1248.

We, Eustace Cazal and Peter Amiel, carriers, confess and acknowledge to you, Falcon of Acre and John Confortance of Acre, that we have had and received from you twelve full loads of brazil wood and nine of pepper and seventeen and a half of ginger for the purpose of taking them from Toulouse to Provence, to the fairs of Provence to be held in the coming May, at a price or charge of four pounds and fifteen solidi in Vienne currency for each of the said loads. And we confess we have had this from you in money, renouncing, etc. And we promise by this agreement to carry and look well after those said loads with our animals, without carts, and to return them to you at the beginning of those fairs and to wait upon you and do all the things which carriers are accustomed to do for merchants. Pledging all our goods, etc.; renouncing the protection of all laws, etc.

Witnesses, etc.

A Bill of Lading is basically a document that authorizes another to transport goods. For example, company X makes airplane parts. They ship it via Ajax trucking to the Boeing assembly plant. When Ajax hauls the stuff they need a bill of lading authorizing them to transport it. The B of L ususally has a description of the item(s), the quantity plus the weight. It also contains the ship from address information and the ship to addrress information.
Personally, I like $20 or higher for my bill(s) of lading!:D

Ahh! I am so thankful.

I work for a logistics company, and this morning a woman asked for a specific bill of lading...and I wanted to figure it out what it was before I went to my boss so he could find it ;)

Ali

I agree with everyone else. I get them almost every ondemand trip I do. They usually have a number to identify it, part numbers and quantity as well as weights.

In addition, the Bill of Lading will specify the type and amount of hazmat items.

Latest resources

Back