• Watchers 5

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

350DRIVER

I wanted to ask a question that appears to be "simple" BUT I am finding myself reasoning different ways with no correct answer in in sight in my mind- Question As follows........

I am studying for the ATP written in which I want to take fairly quickly BUT not sure if I should take the 121 or 135 written.. Here is the deal- I currently am a 135 pilot BUT I do plan on attempting to go to the regionals in the very near future so my question would be whether I should just take the 121 ATP written instead of the 135 written.??- IF my "intentions" are 121 will the regionals look down upon a "135 written" being taken since I don't think this would count at the regionals BUT if I end up staying at my present company I then have a 121 written result that may do me absolutely no good.?

The only concern of mine would be staying with my present employer and "IF" having taken the "121 written" can a 121 ATP written count if I do my ATP checkride in our King Air or one of our jets down the line.??- I doubt it but I could be wrong....

Any advice or info on what I should do is grately appreciated-

cheers as always and thanks alot ahead of time..

Just take the 121 written. All of the schools, AllATP's, etc, use the 121 written. Nobody cares if you take the 135 or the 121, as long as you score well. You've already passed a 135 checkride, so you might as well brush up on the 121 regs, especially since you are planning on a regional soon.

As for the practical, again using AllATP's as an example, they use the 121 written and the really light piston twins for their checkrides. Wouldn't waste any more thought on this.

I had the same question a few years ago. It makes no difference which test you take 135 or 121. I have never been asked that question in four regional and one major airline interviews. I took the 135 test because they were the regs I knew. Also, I think it had fewer total questions to study (not a many performance questions). So, I would take the 135 test. You have plenty of time to learn the 121 regs in ground school.

Terryhfly

I appreciate the response and insight into this since I was unsure- I had thought that it would not matter however IF I would choose to take the 135 written which I am still unsure which one I will/should take although since it appears that it will "not matter" wouldn't it be more beneficial to take the 121 written since when it becomes time upgrade to the left seat and get typed at the regionals the type ride will/can also act as my ATP check ride also BUT I dunno if this would/could hold true since the the ATP written I would have in my possesion could be a 135 written- does this matter????- I would just hate to have to do this all over again since I may not obtain my ATP ticket till I reach the regionals...

THX again ahead of time-

There is one reason, and one reason only, that separate tests exist for 121 and 135; it's to make it easier on the person taking the test. Once the test is taken, nobody has a clue which one you took, and nobody cares. Airlines don't care, the FAA doesn't care; nobody cares.

The FAA realized in a rare moment of clear wisdom that there is no reason for a pilot employed under 135 to take a test about 121 operations, and visa versa. Therefore, they tailored the testing questions such that you're more in your comfort zone.

The test results don't reflect that you took questions under 121 or 135, and nobody will ever ask you. It won't change how you do your practical test, or where. If you take the 135 test, it won't make it any easier to take the practical with a 121 employer.

You are just as well off to take the test applicable to Part 135. If you're currently flying 135, these are the regulations which you know and understand (hopefully), and that's the whole purpose of having tests tailored to your specific background. The FAA is doing you a favor. Take advantage of it.

ATP written

Just take whichever exam is easier for you to take. It makes no difference. I went to Airline Ground Schools in Phoenix, knowing zip about Part 121 and heavy aircraft. The instructor, who was this wonderful English gentleman who was a British Airways PFE, slowed down just enough so I, as a confirmed lightplane pilot, could pick up the concepts. The course was excellent. I studied hard, and did fine. You'll get your ATP and having it is all that really matters.

Good luck studying.

The 135 test is easier. You'll deal with BE-1900 systems vs. a 727 on the Part 121 test. If you've been flying 135, take that test because the regs are on there, and it'll be easy. Like a previous poster said, you have all the time in the world to learn 121 regs.

You wanna be a what?!

Let me get this straight. You had an insignificant question. Then you got good, credible advice and you still have your panties in a wad about what to do?

Making decisions as a captain in the future is really going to be hard on you and maybe your passengers.

Scary.

GIACAPT-
thought you went back into "hiding" after being tossed around on this board?!- I guess not....- welcome back

And yes I will one day be in the left seat and you know what is probably even more bothersome to you is that I will have gotten there by NOT spending a single dime for the "RIGHT SEAT" in any aircraft in other words (best part of the response) I have not "BOUGHT" any "job" along the way- Scary huh??

cheers-

As an academy grad, I can tell you that leadership skills are developed over time, aided by experiences, including both failures and successes.

Don't worry about your lack of decision making skills in regard to choosing which ATP test to take. Actually, you are demonstrating good CRM by admitting that you didn't have all the answers, and are seeking advice and opinions. That's good.

Take the 135 test.

Latest resources

Back