• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Best "little" airports?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While the pig sounds really cool, an awesome lil spot to stop into is the "Flying W Ranch"- N14 in Lumberton, NJ. I used to do ferry flights there from San Diego from time to time and it has everything: a remodeled motel, a bar & restaurant, tennis courts, golf course and even an aircraft shaped pool with a refreshment deck!

Check it out http://www.flyingwairport.com/ :D

My favorite is SAN, you can sit on that little cafe on top of the FBO and watch all the jets and little guys land. It is not a little airport but since it only has one runway maybe it will qualify

Catalina Island - try the buffalo burgers

Santa Barbara - burgers at the Elephant Bar (not small)

Harris Ranch (CA) - great steak dinners (real short strip)

Llano (TX) - bbq

Just for starters...

Just

Added bonus of the Elephant Bar at Santa Barbara:

Hot UCSB Sorority girls as waitresses. :D

If you are looking for a good aviation airport, I would also visit Spruce Creek(7FL6), its just south of DAB. You will see so many cool aircraft, and there are many formation flights that they fly during the weekend. Call ahead and you can probally arange a tour.

Oh yeah St. Augstine is a good place to stop too. You can see some nice looking Extras there. If you stop by Aerosport, look for Matt Edson (airplane nut, and excellent aerobatics pilot), and say hi to Angie if they are there.

Sorry for the edit, wanted to add a little more and didn't feel like adding another post to the list.

Last edited:
Big Bear-SoCal-another great place for a burger run. My wife flew me in there right after she got her private in Illinois, she was impressed.

If you make it to the great lakes area....

KMCD - Mackinaw Island...good clean family fun, known for the abundance of fudge shops, forts and horsedrawn carriages.

3W2 - Put-In-Bay, Ohio...take all of the fudgeshops on Mackinaw Island and replace them with bars and that is 3W2. (Still a lot of fun even if you are not drinking.) Lots of history for this area, we kicked the British's arse during the war of 1812 in Lake Erie at this spot.

Enjoy!

SeaBass

I second these

Definitely try Catalina and Santa Barbara, they're both amazing, especially in the summer. Catalina is a beautiful flight in late afternoon. See if you can spot buffalo when you take off out of there. The backside of the island is a great photo op if that's your thing.

Santa Barbara is nice in the morning after the haze burns off. Go to Mercury Aviation there, they have some WONDERFUL cookies inside =). If you go in over the water, be prepared for some breathtaking views, especially if there's a red tide, the ocean will be every color of the rainbow, and you'll only be 1000' above it!

I love Big Bear too, but you might not want to go there in the summer. The density altitude will try to keep you there once you fly in. I went with my instructor in a 152 in July once, and our climb rate heading out was a pathetic 50' per minute. There's a meadow at the east end of the airport, and once you clear the trees, you'll circle, and circle...and circle...and circle...but I will admit, the approach in over Big Bear Lake is something you must see!

Can you tell I like the airports around here?

Stephanie

Latest resources

Back