Best "little" airports?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SBA

People always mention the Elephant Bar, but the Beachside Cafe offers great food and a much better location! Just exit Mercury Air Center, go right and walk up the road, then down the bike path and over to the beach. The Cafe is at the base of the pier and is a 10 minute walk from the FBO. They have indoor & outdoor seating (with a fire pit).

The Beachside Bar-Café
5905 Sandspit Road
Goleta, CA 93117
Phone: 805-964-7881
Hours: M-Thurs 11:30am-10:00pm, F 11:30am-10:30pm, Sat 11:00am-10:30pm, Sun 11:00am-10:00pm

Cedar Key

I have to agree with Surfnole about Cedar Key, it's a wonderful little place to visit. There's a few seafood restaurants and shops on the waterfront to go to, and the biggest thrill for me when I went was looking down and seeing dolphins playing in the water, what a sight.
Keep us posted on your journey, have fun!

WOW!, I have a lot of homework to do on airnav.com it looks like. Thanks for all the responses!

Just curious if anyone has flown into Grassvally (O17). It is just west of TVL.

Also, I have heard that TVL can be very tricky for first timers. Is this true and if so, what are the issues?

Thanks again guys!

Grass Valley

Sure, I've been into O17 many times. Not much at the field but there is a bus/trolley into town for $1. I fly out of AUN just to the south and there is a decent restaurant there. It's always busy on nice weekends. And remember that the CTAF at O17 is now 122.725. Don't know if it will show up on the new chart due out later this month.

Have some family just about 10 min drive from there....

Would you recommend O17 vs. TVL since O17 is a 10 minute drive vs. an hour?

TEX Telluride, CO the approach into there is an awesome site, at 9,000+MSL strait into the Rockies. better then Eagle or Aspen
Anyways i was also thinking APF Naples, FL how many of you have gone in there for the Ribs (Michelbob's)

Last edited:
I forgot to mention Half Moon Bay (HMB) on the other side of the hill from SFO. Beautiful scenery, and a two minute walk to the Shorebird Inn Restaurant. Not cheap but DYNOMITE seafood. Park the a/c in the transient parking and stroll down the dirt path thru the trees in corner, you will be right on the wharf. Also try Marys crabshack sitting on the pier. Great food, real cheap.

South Lake Tahoe (TVL) - Don't hit the mountains and you'll be OK! Straight-in approach to rwy36 from Echo Summit is a chop-and-drop type operation. When departing towards Echo Summit, make climbing 360's over the golf course before tackling the pass.

Carmel Valley and Monterey. Chicks really dig both these areas. Great scenery. Carmel Valley can be a little tricky. Short runway and possible moving obstacles on the runway (5 points for the joggers!).

Santa Barbara - Can't say enough good things about this place. If you stay overnight anywhere near the wharf, be prepared to shell out some bucks. E-bar, beach and UCSB are great attractions.

Columbia - In California just east of Stockton in the Sierra Nevada gold country. Restored gold mining town a 10 minute nature walk from the airport. Camping facilities and showers on the field. Only about 2,300'MSL. Firefighting ops (S-2's and others during summer takeoff on rwy17 and land on rwy34). Great place to visit.

Chino- in S. California. Lots of restored warbirds. Go on a weekend and see the dozens of airplanes being restored. Planes of fame Air Museum on field.

Friday Harbor

GuppyPuppy said:

Columbia - In California just east of Stockton in the Sierra Nevada gold country. Restored gold mining town a 10 minute nature walk from the airport. Camping facilities and showers on the field. Only about 2,300'MSL. Firefighting ops (S-2's and others during summer takeoff on rwy17 and land on rwy34). Great place to visit.

Agreed, great spot, while you are there, hop over the hill to Pine Mountain Lake.

GuppyPuppy said:

Chino- in S. California. Lots of restored warbirds. Go on a weekend and see the dozens of airplanes being restored. Planes of fame Air Museum on field.

Friday Harbor

Neat sights at Chino, but the smell...sheesh, bring your own O2. LOL

Latest resources

Back