Bermuda Question for Hawker Vets

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

400A

I would like some advice from you veteran Hawker drivers out there. We just took delivery of our new Hawker 750. For those unfamiliar, the 750 is a 800XP without the ventral Tank, So I have 8500lbs of fuel on board. For those of you going to Bermuda on a regular basis I would like some planning advice. I am leaning towards going to Charleston or Norfolk and topping back off before heading east. I am showing that while the 2.5 flight from Atlanta is quite doable, the alternate of Norfolk is not. Any Bermuda advice is appreciated, I have no international experience and now only 20 hours in the Hawker. I am going to take a veteran with international experience to make sure I do not stub my toe.

The aircraft is equipped for the job. Dual HF, Dual FMS/GPS, Satcom and 2 Raft's. We also have our LOA for RVSM, MNPS and RNP.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

400A

Bermuda

400A-

I fly the 800xp for a large fractional and we go to Bermuda on a regular basis, mostly out of HPN, MMU, TEB, MTN, etc. Our average block is 2.2-2.4 hrs. I know we file ORF and ILM as alternates quite often. I think going to ORF and ILM are the closest points to Bermuda and topping off at one of those locations would probably be your best bet.

There isn't much to Bermuda ops. You'll have to do a few position reports but you'll only be out of radar for an hour or less. New York will pick you up 180 miles out unless their radar is out. If you look over position reporting and be prepared for non-radar approaches you'll be ok. Of course the proper customs paperwork (U.S. and Bermuda) would help.

They are pretty laid back there but the FBO area is VERY small with only a few chairs. Sometimes you have to park yourself if noone comes out. If you'll be staying overnight the Grotto Bay Beach Resort or the Hamilton Princess (downtown) are good options.

I don't fly a Hawker but I'm based in Bermuda. The farthest east I have gone non-stop is PWK in the winter and BMG in the summer. Our dispatcher frequently uses Nantucket or Atlantic City as alternates depending on the weather.

You only need to make one position report on the way out, and one on the way in, checking in with New York Center either place they will have you on radar.

A new FBO, Sovereign, just opened up which is really nice.

Newport News (PHF - I think) used to have the best fuel prices when I used to go out there all the time. We started using ORF, but got poor service so we switched.

As long as you have done your homework (wet footprint, etc) and come out of somewhere and have enough fuel to get there, shoot an approach, go missed, and head back to ORF area (about 700 miles away if I remember) if things aren't going well, then all your bases are just about covered. I would certainly think that you should be able to come out of the ORF area with a 750 with enough gas to do what I described. It may be at LRC, but you should be able to do it.

Just keep in mind it is a single runway airport and if another aircraft becomes disabled on the runway, you better have an alternative solution.

I would like some advice from you veteran Hawker drivers out there. We just took delivery of our new Hawker 750. For those unfamiliar, the 750 is a 800XP without the ventral Tank, So I have 8500lbs of fuel on board. For those of you going to Bermuda on a regular basis I would like some planning advice. I am leaning towards going to Charleston or Norfolk and topping back off before heading east. I am showing that while the 2.5 flight from Atlanta is quite doable, the alternate of Norfolk is not. Any Bermuda advice is appreciated, I have no international experience and now only 20 hours in the Hawker. I am going to take a veteran with international experience to make sure I do not stub my toe.

The aircraft is equipped for the job. Dual HF, Dual FMS/GPS, Satcom and 2 Raft's. We also have our LOA for RVSM, MNPS and RNP.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

400A

Definately top off as you planned in ORF. CHS is about 900NM from Bermuda so that means if you go CHS-TXKF-Alternate, after a miss, youre looking at 1600-1700 miles (getting close to your limit on the 750). If you go from ORF-TXKF-Alternate, after a miss, you're looking at 1400-1500 miles (a bit more fuel left in the tanks).

I use Nantucket its your closest alternate...obviously watch the weather there...if the weather is crummy in ACK use I will use ORF, ISP, FOK, ACY (theyre all under 750NM away)

.74 or .75 mach should be good to conserve fuel so if you have to turn around after overflying TXKF you wont be in a bind.

Have fun...

Just keep in mind it is a single runway airport and if another aircraft becomes disabled on the runway, you better have an alternative solution.

While I would never condone flying to an airport without enough fuel to make it to your alternate, in the event of the above situation, the taxi way there would act as an emergency runway. ("emergency" being the operative word)

They have done that before. Happened about 8 years ago. Opened up the taxiway and used it as a runway. I think it was 75 or 100 feet wide!

from what I understand, the taxiway on the north end of the field use to be a runway back in the day...way before my time.

I don't believe you need a 1st class medical, though you can find out for sure in the entry requirements section of your LA charts.

Just remember to ask whoever does your flight planning ( Universal does ours) what mach number they use to file with. When I took delivery of Serial number 1 of the 750's from Little Rock, we flew it back to China. Our long range cruise was planned at M 7.0 and it worked wonderfully for our longest sector Anchorage- Petro. We had a 4 hour 30 minute flight and landed with 2500 pounds in the tank enough to get us to our alternate 477 miles away. Once settled in at cruise check the numbers on your flight plan vs actual conditions. ie look at the wind prediction and what you're actually getting. Next look at the temps and compare and finally look at your TAS. Your TAS should be very similar if your flying a constant mach of M7.0 and temps are close to forecast. Don't be tempted to climb to a higher altitude if the flight planned route doesn't call for it. Avoid the urge and stick to the plan. I hope this helps you out a bit.

Latest resources

Back