Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DorkProp

Dork No More!
I know that an ATP written taken while employed at a 121 carrier has no expiration date, but...

I took mine a few months before being hired, while a flight instructor. I hope to upgrade in 6-9 months, but my written may expire in July. Will mine really expire since I took it before becoming employed at a 121 carrier, or will it not expire? I'd appreciate anybody who has a concrete answer (realizing that may be a tall order since it's dealing with highly-interpretive Federal regs).

I don't want to take it again if I don't have to, for obvious reasons. Thanks!

DP,

So long as your test results were valid when you were hired, your test will remain valid throughout your employment. If you stay employed and current under Part 121, it will be valid four years from now as well as tomorrow.

The reference to your question is found in 14 CFR Part 61.39(b)(1), and states that you may present an expired knowledge exam when taking the practical test, so long as you are employed by a certificate holder at the time of the practical test, and have accomplished the operators PIC training program.

If you become unemployed after the test has expired, or switch companies, then the test result is no longer valid for the purpose of taking the practical test, and you must retsit for the ATP knowledge exam again.

here's 61.39(b) Notwithstanding the prov

here's 61.39(b) Notwithstanding the provisions of paragraphs (a)(1) and (2) of this section, an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline
transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant:

(1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a ertificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test and has satisfactorily accomplished that operator's approved --

(i) Pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; and

(ii) Qualification training requirements appropriate to the certificate and rating sought; or

(2) Is employed as a flight crewmember in scheduled U.S. military air transport operations at the time of the practical test, and has accomplished the pilot in command aircraft qualification training program that is appropriate to the certificate and rating sought.

Alright, how about this one. What if you took the ATP written before getting hired by a 121 operator, then got furloughed for a year or so, then get recalled? Does it remain valid while you are furloughed if it's been more than 24 months since you took it? How about after you get recalled? Anyone have ideas?

...an applicant for an airline transport pilot certificate or an additional rating to an airline transport certificate may take the practical test for that certificate or rating with an expired knowledge test report, provided that the applicant: (1) Is employed as a flight crewmember by a ertificate holder under part 121, 125, or 135 of this chapter at the time of the practical test...

Latest resources

Back