ATP Schools Aircraft

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
RE:Working while at ATP

I quit my job, moved out of my house, said goodbye to my wife for three months and moved into the ATP apartment (very nice, by the way). I saw my wife three times and didn't see friends the whole summer of '01.
No way you will be able to work, but it will take you many more months of training while working, doing it the old-fashioned way, (absolutely nothing wrong with that of course, very well time tested method).
I pretty much flew, ate, slept, and studied all day every day.

Wouldn't change a thing!

Let me chime in here on my personnal experiences with how you can maintain a small resemblance of a normal life while attending ATP.

While i was there we did have the occasional 7 day a week flying stints, but we also had times when we had 3 or 4 days off because of aircraft unavailability. I saw this as a good break from the action because it can wear on you after having to study like a mad man for days on end, then go on some of those cross countries which can keep you out of town for many days. The way i coped was to enjoy my time off and not stress out about everything. Of course if you knew me you would understand that this is my personality. Everyone of us in the ATP apartment would go out to clubs on the weekend days that we were at home, we would go enjoy nights at Hooter's drinking some fine beer and scoping the wings, or was it the women... huh, i don't know. ;) I did notice that the guys who stressed out over everything were the guys having the most trouble with the material and were more often failing checkrides, and two even washed out. I guess my whole point about the rambling above is that you need to get out and have fun while doing this program. Don't stay cooped up in the apartment studying 24/7, try to do some of the things you would normally do.

As far as keeping a job... good luck. The only way to keep that kind of life is if they grant you a leave of absence while you attend, because you definately will not have that much time.

Back in my day at ATP, we only had the old airplanes. We also had to hike 4 miles everyday in 3 feet of snow. ;) Actually, we had our favorites of the old aircraft, and there were some that we hated to fly. Yes we did have our small problems with certain aircraft. But I looked at this as a learning experience. If you fly airplanes long enough, you will have your problems. Seems like every other day, something on the Brasilia just won't cooperate. Once you've tackled a problem, it's not so bad the next go around. What better way to learn something from personal experience. Plus, you can sound like you know what you're talking about while chatting with your fellow pilots. ;)

Gimped out airplanes? All of ATPs older seminoles were in the process of getting completely new interiors, avionics and panels. This included Garmin 430s in every one. This was being done when I left ATP JAX as an instructor last year and I suspect will be finished shortly. There is not a better maintenance team anywhere that I've seen. If you are hard up to fly a new one, try scheduling at one of the western locations such as Dallas, Houston, or Phoenix.
I'm sorry the earlier poster felt the instruction was lacking. As with any school, the instruction will vary by individual, and unfortunately, ATP isn't immune to the "I'm only here to build time" instructor. However, there are many instructors, myself included, who felt that the goal was to produce a safe, proficient multi-engine pilot, not just to pass a checkride. Understand, that this isn't the mom and pop FBO where you can learn the plane over months at your leisure and expense. Every program is truly a "tall drink from a firehose" and you should be prepared accordingly. Sometimes it is the student who is "lacking".

Hey CRJ,

I think HEF (Northern Virginia) attracts some high dollar customers. All of their Seminoles look (or are pretty new). Those that venture north to Maryland for checkrides have had brand new models with prop accumulators and the works inside!

Nobody has complained about equipment - in fact the DE's up north are pretty impressed with ATP's service records and professionalism.

I have to ask, whats the difference if they are new or if they are old?

A while back I did my multi and then went back for the ATP, other than the usual mechanical stuff that goes on, which by the way happens with new and old airplanes, I really didnt seem to see much problem.

Do what you got to do and move on.

Remember the old saying, never fly airplanes that dont have any paint worn off the rudder pedals.

Latest resources

Back