Atlas Air?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OPECJet

I currently live in a 747 domicile. I know that newhires are going to the 767, but is it possible to bid the 74 later, or possible future hiring into the 74?

Also curious how much time at home one can expect with living in domicile.

Thanks!

All things are possible with time. Certainly you can bid for airplane change at a later point and, seniority permitting, you will receive it. As to whether future hiring will be into the 747, it's anybody's guess. The history has been that hiring varies depending on the needs of the moment. As with everything in this business, timing is everything.

The company owns you for a maximum of 17 days a month. Some lines are less, but not much. They may be in one chunk (my preference) or they may be split into groups. If you live in base you will have the rest of the days to yourself. If you don't you will often travel on a day off.

Last edited:
Thanks! I had been told by a local guy (dated info) that he would do either a Mexico City or Guadalajara turn, overnight at home, then do a Europe 3 day, overnight at home again, then rinse and repeat. Said he spent more nights in his own bed than in hotel rooms during his 17 day stretch. If that is anywhere close to the truth it beats my current job by miles.

Thanks!

Thanks! I had been told by a local guy (dated info) that he would do either a Mexico City or Guadalajara turn, overnight at home, then do a Europe 3 day, overnight at home again, then rinse and repeat. Said he spent more nights in his own bed than in hotel rooms during his 17 day stretch. If that is anywhere close to the truth it beats my current job by miles.

Thanks!

The one thing I can tell you with absolute certainty about life here is that whatever is going on at any given time, it will change. See the Atlas thread on APC. In the end, it's best to bid what days off you want and not get too wound up over destinations. Enjoy the adventure while on the job and take advantage of whatever opportunities are available at whatever location you find yourself in. If I wanted to live in a particular city I would do so. I would NOT move from a place I liked to a place I didn't on the chance of getting a better schedule. That schedule would change before you completed the move. I'm an old MAC C-141 guy and I love this life. It's much like MAC without the tents and MREs. If one really likes schedules set in stone and plans that never change then they will be absolutely miserable here. If one kind of digs leaving home without really knowing what sights they'll see before they get home again and enjoys the adventure involved in that then this is the place to be.

Jeez I should of applied at Atlas. My corporate job is boring with a capital friggin B.

But I'm getting a little old to be chucking everything and starting over. Maybe if I get downsized, which is a very real possibility.

I'm sure you know Bill Kelly, he was a good friend in the AF. Yes I do miss the old MAC missions. Who knows where you ended up...

Talon, your response brings up a good point/question. There was at one point a base in Stanstead. I'm guessing but the bases are dictated on the company's needs rather than set contractually like a commute "gateway", correct?

So just because someone lives in a 747 base this month doesn't mean there will be a 747 base there next month?

Talon, your response brings up a good point/question. There was at one point a base in Stanstead. I'm guessing but the bases are dictated on the company's needs rather than set contractually like a commute "gateway", correct?

So just because someone lives in a 747 base this month doesn't mean there will be a 747 base there next month?

Quite true. Stanstead is long gone (good riddance) and the last new bases to appear have been Cincinnati and Houston. Both have opened in the five years I've been here. What changes more often than the actual bases is what type of flying happens in those bases. Houston, Cincinnati and Anchorage seem to be the most constant. The other bases vary in the type of flying from time to time. JFK has always been a grab bag of everything and that's one of the reasons I stay based there. The other is that not much originates there so I'm rarely actually in New York. In reality it matters little since the company gateways you to wherever you need to be. As I said above, I would never move to a base with the expectation that things will forever stay the same. They most definitely won't!

The new hire class this week is 12 747 and 6 767 slots. They are all starting class on the same day, and bidding for aircraft and base...unusual for Atlas. Don't know if this is the "new norm" or not.

If you live in MIA, and are based there, you could easily be home a lot of nights. If you are based in JFK, you usually would never see JFK, so you would never be home extra nights. ANC right now has some additional nights at home, but not as many as MIA.

Things change way more than they are stable, but our bases haven't changed very much lately. In the next contract, we may not have bases any more...I HOPE NOT!!!

It is really stupid....we are the only one with Bases AND Gateways/Home Basing!!!

I see your 747 parked at IAH next to the FedEx boys.

How many guys are domiciled in Houston? It would be a whole 12 miles commute for me....

But the IAH bird flys to Angola, right? Luanda is a real garden spot.

I see your 747 parked at IAH next to the FedEx boys.

How many guys are domiciled in Houston? It would be a whole 12 miles commute for me....

But the IAH bird flys to Angola, right? Luanda is a real garden spot.

As of the last vacancy bid there are 17 captains and 28 F/Os listed in IAH. It's by far our smallest base.

You're right, Luanda isn't on my list of places to vacation! Plus, it's passenger flying. I much prefer the boxes.

Latest resources

Back