ATC's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ipilot

i was just wondering how u guys feel when some of these ATC's come up with stupid instructions and if u don't follow them then they r on ur case. like today i was with a student cleared for take off and while i was entering the runway and student was doing the pre take off checks this ATC tell this other aircraft landing on an intececting runway to turn on the runway i was on and he started yapping at me that i should take off quickly. i wanted my student to be sure that he has done every checks and engines r within the green arc before we go up in the air. its was nothing like a delay on our side otherwise i'd have asked for it. its just that he wanted that other aircraft to be clear of that other runway quick enough so he wanted me to clear that runway as well. rather than he could have asked the other aircraft to clear on the taxi way right next to the runway i was on. i'm not being hard on them as i know that they work under a lot of pressure and i'd certainly not take their job but sometimes they don't think what they r saying or doing. if you do something slightly wrong they r ready to give u a number to call and that goes on ur record but i wish if we could give them a number to call them after they screw up :D

The point is that it is extremely hard to read and understand when every other word is spelled wrong and the whole message is one big paragraph.

Act professional if you want to be taken seriously.

Sorry, I have to agree with the others. I don't like it when people use shorthand on this or other message boards... a pet peeve. In most cases I tend to skip it and continue on to the next one.

Anyway, as PIC it is your responisbility to maintain the safety of the flight and you should not accept any instructions from ATC that would affect the safety of the flight. If they want you to takeoff immediately, they should ask you if you can accept a "no delay" takeoff clearance. However, when you advise tower that you are ready for takeoff you should be ready to do so. If you haven't completed your run-up or pre-takeoff procedures yet, don't tell the tower that you are ready for take-off. If you are going to be practicing a short field takeoff and will need a few seconds to set the brakes and bring the power up, advise tower that you will need a short delay on the runway. Also be aware of local practices. Not all airports want you to be doing a run-up at the hold short line because this can back up the flow of traffic. If you are not sure where to do a run-up, ask around where this is normally done at an FBO or even the ground controller.

well! if u don't understand then don't bother replying. this is not an english class.

ipilot -

It may not be an English class but like dmspilot00 said, if you want to be taken seriously act like a professional. Professionals use proper English. I know what you mean when you use u, r and ur, but it is annoying and harder to follow than if you would just type the extra few letters in the words.

While we are on the subject of pet peeves, another one of mine is when people don't use any capital letters in online posts. You can access the capital letters by pressing down on the Shift key on the keyboard while typing the letter that should be capitalized. Most keyboards have 2 such keys to choose from.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
j41driver said:
ipilot -

It may not be an English class but like dmspilot00 said, if you want to be taken seriously act like a professional. Professionals use proper English. I know what you mean when you use u, r and ur, but it is annoying and harder to follow than if you would just type the extra few letters in the words.

While we are on the subject of pet peeves, another one of mine is when people don't use any capital letters in online posts. You can access the capital letters by pressing down on the Shift key on the keyboard while typing the letter that should be capitalized. Most keyboards have 2 such keys to choose from.

Hope this helps.

This is obviously (from the responses above) not just a problem unique to one. I personally find it very annoying. Even when just IM-ing or posting I think that these incomplete words are a sign of a lazy poster. It does not require much effort to type complete words (in fact for some, I think it would require more work to leave these necessary letters out).

ipilot-
What would your student think if you gave him notes to take home and study and they included words such as "u", "ur", and "r"? He would probably think you were a fruit....It is just a manner of appearance and professionalism (sp?).

JMHO,
ali

<insert siggy here>

Latest resources

Back