• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC chooses diversity over qualification

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That story is very misleading. This has nothing to do with diversity. That's not only stupid, but it was interjected by the reporter. No one from the FAA said anything about increasing diversity or any type of "code speak" for it.

I heard the guy from the FAA say that he was opening the "aperture" to allow more people in. To say that that would imply increasing diversity is not only subjective at best, but may be inaccurate. There is no evidence to link opening the program up to everyone would increase the diversity ratio at all.

Now having said all of that, what this is truly about is money and lots of it. I will not discount the value of the students that graduate from this program, however keep in mind that 24 years ago the only requirement to apply to take the test to be admitted in to the controller program was a HS degree. The bulk of the controllers that are working today were hired under that program. You don't see planes running in to one another because of it and that's the rationale by the FAA. Their training works for someone off of the street.

What this is really about is that the folks from the CTI will want higher salaries and will have a stranglehold on the job pipeline if the FAA didn't open up the "aperture" for hiring. This is about keeping wages low.

Ok so maybe I was wrong about it not being about diversity. Just not ethnic, racial or sex diversity, but about income diversity. They want more people that won't demand the higher salary down the line.

"Opening the aperture", coined by Anthony Foxx, is diversity expansion. It was his agenda as mayor of CLT.

Let's build that chocolate city Mr Nagin.

The candidates should be chosen on their merits, not their skin color (no matter what that color is).

This is nothing more than the Obama administration doing what they do best. Picking winners and losers.

While I agree "opening the aperture" sounds wrong, why should FAA controllers only come from CTI or the military?

While I agree "opening the aperture" sounds wrong, why should FAA controllers only come from CTI or the military?

I think the more pressing question is why Unqualified applicants (with ZERO experience) are chosen in preference to highly trained and experienced applicants, if that is indeed happening as reported.

Last edited:
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has enjoyed a long-standing relationship with your organization and values our partnership in the training of potential Air Traffic Controllers (ATC). Recently, the FAA completed a barrier analysis of the ATC occupation pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission?s (EEOC) Management Directive 715. As a result of the analysis, recommendations were identified that we are implementing to improve and streamline the selection of ATC candidates. These improvements will have a direct and present impact on all hiring sources, including CTI.

"Opening the aperture", coined by Anthony Foxx, is diversity expansion. It was his agenda as mayor of CLT.

So let me get this straight. Because a mayor in CLT used the term in that way and I can't even verify that part or really care to, that automatically means that someone in DC using a similar term is using it in the same way? Never mind the fact that no one said word one about diversity issues in the FAA. Was there a memo on diversity hiring? Did anyone in the FAA say they needed to bring in more minorities? Outside of basically 3 words, that I guarantee most people do not associate with diversity, what link to the FAA's decision is there to diversity?

My point is that the only person that even mentioned diversity was the reporter. In fact he provided nothing to support his allegation that this was about diversity at all. He mentioned it and you guys bit it hook, line and sinker never once questioning how he came to such a conclusion.

Just ask yourself this question. Would a story about the Feds hiring cheaper labor make a better story than highly qualified candidates being passed over in favor of diversity?

Lastly, think about this. If this story was even slightly true why would you have to watch a local news channel for this? FOX News would be creaming all over themselves for a story like this. So what have you heard from them? Silence. That should tell you a lot if even FOX isn't jumping on board.

So let me get this straight. Because a mayor in CLT used the term in that way and I can't even verify that part or really care to, that automatically means that someone in DC using a similar term is using it in the same way? Never mind the fact that no one said word one about diversity issues in the FAA. Was there a memo on diversity hiring? Did anyone in the FAA say they needed to bring in more minorities? Outside of basically 3 words, that I guarantee most people do not associate with diversity, what link to the FAA's decision is there to diversity?

My point is that the only person that even mentioned diversity was the reporter. In fact he provided nothing to support his allegation that this was about diversity at all. He mentioned it and you guys bit it hook, line and sinker never once questioning how he came to such a conclusion.

Just ask yourself this question. Would a story about the Feds hiring cheaper labor make a better story than highly qualified candidates being passed over in favor of diversity?

Lastly, think about this. If this story was even slightly true why would you have to watch a local news channel for this? FOX News would be creaming all over themselves for a story like this. So what have you heard from them? Silence. That should tell you a lot if even FOX isn't jumping on board.

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has enjoyed a long-standing relationship with your organization and values our partnership in the training of potential Air Traffic Controllers (ATC). Recently, the FAA completed a barrier analysis of the ATC occupation pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission?s (EEOC) Management Directive 715. As a result of the analysis, recommendations were identified that we are implementing to improve and streamline the selection of ATC candidates. These improvements will have a direct and present impact on all hiring sources, including CTI."

Care to rethink your statement?

"The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has enjoyed a long-standing relationship with your organization and values our partnership in the training of potential Air Traffic Controllers (ATC). Recently, the FAA completed a barrier analysis of the ATC occupation pursuant to the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission?s (EEOC) Management Directive 715. As a result of the analysis, recommendations were identified that we are implementing to improve and streamline the selection of ATC candidates. These improvements will have a direct and present impact on all hiring sources, including CTI."

Care to rethink your statement?

Care to cite your source?

Latest resources

Back