• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC chooses diversity over qualification

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's outrageous. Friend of mine's kid just finished a 4-year degree at along-promised ATC feeder fix school only to be told all the rules are changed now. No grandfathering, no advantage, makes no sense.

What a load of crap! When I graduated college, the CTI program was in its infancy. I minored in Air Traffic Control and it sounded like a great program, should one be interested in controlling. Hopefully, things will change, but I'm betting on it. Best of luck to those of you who are or who know someone caught up in this government BS!

That story is very misleading. This has nothing to do with diversity. That's not only stupid, but it was interjected by the reporter. No one from the FAA said anything about increasing diversity or any type of "code speak" for it.

I heard the guy from the FAA say that he was opening the "aperture" to allow more people in. To say that that would imply increasing diversity is not only subjective at best, but may be inaccurate. There is no evidence to link opening the program up to everyone would increase the diversity ratio at all.

Now having said all of that, what this is truly about is money and lots of it. I will not discount the value of the students that graduate from this program, however keep in mind that 24 years ago the only requirement to apply to take the test to be admitted in to the controller program was a HS degree. The bulk of the controllers that are working today were hired under that program. You don't see planes running in to one another because of it and that's the rationale by the FAA. Their training works for someone off of the street.

What this is really about is that the folks from the CTI will want higher salaries and will have a stranglehold on the job pipeline if the FAA didn't open up the "aperture" for hiring. This is about keeping wages low.

Ok so maybe I was wrong about it not being about diversity. Just not ethnic, racial or sex diversity, but about income diversity. They want more people that won't demand the higher salary down the line.

That story is very misleading. This has nothing to do with diversity. That's not only stupid, but it was interjected by the reporter. No one from the FAA said anything about increasing diversity or any type of "code speak" for it.

I heard the guy from the FAA say that he was opening the "aperture" to allow more people in. To say that that would imply increasing diversity is not only subjective at best, but may be inaccurate. There is no evidence to link opening the program up to everyone would increase the diversity ratio at all.

Now having said all of that, what this is truly about is money and lots of it. I will not discount the value of the students that graduate from this program, however keep in mind that 24 years ago the only requirement to apply to take the test to be admitted in to the controller program was a HS degree. The bulk of the controllers that are working today were hired under that program. You don't see planes running in to one another because of it and that's the rationale by the FAA. Their training works for someone off of the street.

What this is really about is that the folks from the CTI will want higher salaries and will have a stranglehold on the job pipeline if the FAA didn't open up the "aperture" for hiring. This is about keeping wages low.

Ok so maybe I was wrong about it not being about diversity. Just not ethnic, racial or sex diversity, but about income diversity. They want more people that won't demand the higher salary down the line.

Careful now, this doesn't fit the impotent white rage narrative that's so popular among pilots.

Unbelievable! I sincerely hope your son finds a job.

Sorry, but anyone who voted for Obama a 2nd time really has themselves to blame. This diversity theme is all too common in this failed administration.

I say we start diversifying the pilot group by hiring off the street from high school. The company can leave them in training until they can earn their ATP. Think of how cheap a high school grad would be!!

Racism is such a great way for the oligarchy to get the serfs to fight each other while the oligarchy screws things up and fleeces the masses.

Latest resources

Back