ATA pay and layoffs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

countryflyer

I live in Indianapolis, and I am interested in working for ATA. I know that you have been working on a new contract for some time now, and was wondering if there has been any movement in that arena? Also, did ATA have layoffs as a result of Sept 11, and are they yet recalled? If so, are there any hiring plans in the near future?

Thanks for any info.

ATA reply

No pilots were laid off at ATA after Sept 11th, but F/E were.

However, the PFE knew even before the 11th that time was running out for them and they would be laid off as the 727s were set down and replaced with 737-800s. Their lay offs were just accelerated.

The good news (for ATA and FEs) is that the company is doing a lot of the Sun Country flying, they decided to keep 8 of the 72s flying until May 02 instead of parking them in Oct 2001. This allowed them to recall a number of FEs.

The negotiations are not going well, the company is dragging their feet and we are in mediation.

They haven't said when they will start to hire again, but they keep taking deliveries and accepted an additonal 2 757-300s.

Hope it helps...

Ditto everything 727driver said about ATA. I would guess that ATA has to start hiring soon as we continue to take delivery of 737s and 757s this year. Even though the last of the 727s and a few more L1011s will be retired this year, the net result is that we will have more planes at year's end then we have now. Of course management's policy seems to be to ignore a problem (coming shortage of flight crews), and hope it goes away.

We all hope to have a new contract soon, but we're not very optomistic. I'm sure you're aware that our current pay rates are among the worst in the industry, and our contract is nearly a year and a half past the amenable date.

Good luck if you apply. The only good thing I can say about working at ATA is that the large majority of the crews are fun to work with, and some of the flying can be very interesting.

Thank you very much for your replies. I would probably want to wait until the new contract is settled before I made a move, since it would currently take three years to get back to my current pay level. All that said, ATA has always been where I would like to work.

coutryflyer

Latest resources

Back