Associates degree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Chewbacca

Hey guys, I am working hard towards my BA, and will soon have my AS degree. Does anyone know if the AS gives you "points" towards an interview?

Cheers

Hey guys, I am working hard towards my BA, and will soon have my AS degree. Does anyone know if the AS gives you "points" towards an interview?

Cheers

More and more places are finding that a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. More and more places are making it perferred. Apply everywhere on a regular basis

Last edited:
More and more places are finding that a college degree has nothing to do with flying an airplane. More and more places are making it perferred. Apply everywhere on a regular basis

While I agree that a college degree has little to do with flying airplanes, it has a lot to do with defining the kind of employees you want to hire. At some places a degree could well work against you.

Do you want to fly for a Major?

Then you need a four year degree. Period end of story. You'll be long retired before they have any reason to lift that requirement, regardless of what Yip says (I swear, 10 years I'm on this board and he sounds like a broken record, and nothing's changed IRT needing a degree to get the job.)

If you're looking to get on with a National or ULCC carrier, you're fine. Spirit will hire you sans degree, as will Blue, Frontier and I'm guessing Alligient.

I know several recent hires at a couple of airlines, including mine, and including a certain big legacy, who got hired with only associates degrees. They brought a ton of other experience to the table and interview like they belong in Trump Tower. They also had stellar GPA's (3.5 plus), which is probably more heavily weighted for those without a 4-year degree.

If the company's hiring mins say 4-year degree "REQUIRED", forget it, the HR computer will delete your resume on sight. If it says "PREFERRED", then....good luck, you never know.

Do you want to fly for a Major?
You mean NWA, UAL, CAL, AAL, USAirways are not majors, those are the places I know that have hired non-degreed guys. DAL is the only one where I don't know anyone hired without a college degree since 1969. Unless of course you were a non-degreed NWA guy who became a DAL guy.

While I agree that a college degree has little to do with flying airplanes, it has a lot to do with defining the kind of employees you want to hire. At some places a degree could well work against you.
Do I read this that people with a four year piece of paper are superior to those who do not have hat degree?

Do I read this that people with a four year piece of paper are superior to those who do not have hat degree?

I read that as "some places want people without 4-year degrees." Why?
It limits their employment options elsewhere, and they'll stick around longer.

You are giving bad advice . You are also doing a large disservice to those looking to get hired at a Major Airline .

United used to require an Associates Degree, don't know if they still do. While the broken record may say you don't need a degree, the fifty guys with comparable experience applying for one job need to be whittled down somehow. Education and commitment are just two ways to do this.

Latest resources

Back