ASA pay scales

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Fins,

Have you privately e-mailed Flying Sig to see if he will write you a letter of recommendation?

No, I haven't. I knew that would be the response from someone. More than likely, you. It is your canned response to anyone at DCI who does not jump on your ALPA-bashing, self-pity, I-can't-upgrade-because-of-predatory-scope, RJDC bandwagon. If someone doesn't agree you accuse them of kissing a Delta pilot's a$$. Give it a rest.

If it will make you feel better, and give me some credibility in your eyes, I will start a whole thread dedicated to Delta pilot jokes. Something tells me that a guy like FlyingSig would laugh and not take it personally. Would that help???

It is a shame that you deride and ridicule the pilots that are trying to restore your career.

It is a shame that you deride and ridicule pilots who respectfully disagree with you. My squash post was a light-hearted attempt at humor, and I imagine about 99% of the readers take it that way. Not everything is a personal vendetta against you or the DCI pilots (which I happen to be).

And yes - the RJDC has tried to fix the problem of Skywest. That problem is part and parcel of the the fact that we have five separate labor groups competing for Delta's domestic narrow body flying.

Strange. I am no expert on the RJDC, by any means. My understanding is that they (RJDC) are pissed at ALPA for not following the now infamous C&BLs, and seeking to nullify the "predatory scope" language in the most recent DALPA contract. Nowhere have I read about RJDC "fixing the Skywest problem". To the contrary, I know I have seen the RJDC propaganda advertised on the old Skywest web board. I find it hard to believe they would be looking for contributions from a pilot group that they consider a "problem" which needs to be "fixed".

As I have said before, I agree with you on many points. I think ALPA is weighted in favor of the big boys. No foolin', huh? they know where there bread is buttered. I think whipsaw sucks. I hate seeing Skywest airplanes on the ramp in DFW, when ours aren't on the ramp in SLC. I hate reading the Eagle is carrying our pax in LAX. I would like to end put to that &%#$ today. My belief is the answer is ONELIST. The ONLY way I see that EVER having a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding is with the ardant support of the Delta pilots. Suing ALPA won't accomplish squat, ALPA can't make Delta do anything. We need the Delta pilots on our side. Suing our own union, and hence the people whose help we need the most isn't the way, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Metro:

You just don't get it. If scope based on aircraft type is unenforceable, then DALPA will do anything to have us on one list & "all Delta flying performed by Delta pilots."

Now would that kind of inclusive scope also provide the perfect answer for your Skywest concerns?

You know ALPA proved that it could not be trusted when "representing" ASA and Comair pilots. We tried being "nice." They tried begging and following the same rules ALPA published, then refused to follow. The litigation was (and is) our last option to force ALPA to act in good faith. (In case you have not noticed, ALPA national has been on much better behavior since they now know that their actions are being reviewed by the Court.)

The pilots in the RJDC suit are very reluctant plaintiffs - there is just is not any other way. The Court is forcing ALPA and the Delta MEC to address this issue - the fact that these parties are compelled to engage in a dialouge and negotiations is REAL progress IMHO.

ALPA is slowly beginning to realize that this lawsuit is the dynomite that could blow apart their entire large jet / small jet apartied scope. Once they figure this out ALPA will rush to end the alter - ego connection carriers and the only way to do this is single carrier petitions for airlines performing (XXX) brand flying. (which is something ALPA should have done without being forced - it is just good common sense)

One union, one level of representation, one airline, one list.

Last edited:
~~~^~~~ said:
Metro:

It is a shame that you deride and ridicule the pilots that are trying to restore your career.

Prof,

It's a shame that the instigators of the organization and the lawsuit did not survey their own group before launching an attack on the union. I don't know anyone who would argue with the ends that you want to achieve, but many of us are uncomfortable with the means: a plaintiff's lawsuit against the people that we work with every day. Now we have turned into unwitting spokesmen every time we occupy a major jumpseat. Most of them don't understand that most of us don't agree with the methods of the RJDC.

Please don't tell me that you're not after DALPA or the people of ALPA, because that is where ALL of their defense money is coming from, and that includes me...MY paycheck. I take it personally.

So the next time you want to "restore" my career, how about asking me first. I don't like having things shoved down my throat without a courtesy call. So far, y'all haven't done me any favors.

In the past, you have graced this board and others with some good info and advice. These days, all I see from you is a bitter RJDC mantra. You go around to these sites and pound on the proverbial door like a jet-hova's witness. I see a lot of your target audience slamming said door on your toes. Do us a favor and just go back to being good 'ol Prof.

I'm not saying that there's no place for you to make your argument, but please don't make a place wherever you see fit. It really is fatiguing.

Sorry to have to say all this, but I've been pushed to the edge.

Respectfully,
FL000

Fins,

Good post.

You just don't get it. If scope based on aircraft type is unenforceable, then DALPA will do anything to have us on one list & "all Delta flying performed by Delta pilots."

You are correct. I don't get it. I am not a Delta pilot. Neither are you. I am a Delta (subsidiary) employee, but I am an ASA pilot. Given the friction that exists between the groups, and the fact that many Delta pilots are on the street right now, what is to keep DALPA from pushing to fly the RJs at mainline, with THEIR pilots.

Now would that kind of inclusive scope also provide the perfect answer for your Skywest concerns?

Would it? I don't see how. As I said, I am not a Delta pilot. Skywest certainly aren't Delta pilots. In fact they are not even ALPA pilots. Are you suggesting that ACA and Skywest would be included in a ONELIST proposal? That doesn't work for me. As I have said, I have many friends at Skywest. My issue with them rests in that we have different goals. ASA and Comair are bothpart of the Delta family and our goal is to see Delta (DCI)succeed and prosper. Skywest and ACA have no loyalty to Delta. The will fly for Delta, United, or anyone who agrees to pay their fee-per-departure.

I agree that scope based on a/c type is wrong. I believe that the market should determine a/c type and that Delta (any airline for that matter) should be free to deploy a/c in a manner which will allow them to be profitable. What I fail to see is how this addresses the issue of whipsaw. If scope is struck down, it would seem to me that it would allow mgt to exacerbate the problem by expanding, as the new head of DCI has said,"the portfolio of carriers that make up DCI" and giving the flying to the lowest bidder.

My belief is that scope is important. I would like to scope all DCI flying for ASA/Comair, thereby keeping all Delta flying in the "Delta family". Once that is accomplished, we could move forward on the ONELIST front, working with DALPA, which as I have said, I believe to be our potentially, most important, ally.

You know ALPA proved that it could not be trusted when "representing" ASA and Comair pilots. We tried being "nice."

No argument from me. I have never said ALPA is treating us fairly. We don't fill their coffers the way the big boys do, so that is to be expected. I certainly don't agree with it, but I am not sure this lawsuit will fix it. I could be wrong.

The Court is forcing ALPA and the Delta MEC to address this issue - the fact that these parties are compelled to engage in a dialouge and negotiations is REAL progress IMHO.

Is that so? I don't know. I have yet to see anything substantive on the RJDC site. Just crew room banter. What dialouge and negotiations? How come all I ever hear is solicitation for donations?

ALPA is slowly beginning to realize that this lawsuit is the dynomite that could blow apart their entire large jet / small jet apartied scope.

They are??? Where can I read that for myself. How come my union reps don't tell me this.

Once they figure this out ALPA will rush to end the alter - ego connection carriers and the only way to do this is single carrier petitions for airlines performing (XXX) brand flying.

Wouldn't that be great? But what happens to the codeshare fee for departure carriers? That would leave them out in the cold. Again I ask the question, why are they soliciting help from those they intend to carve out of the deal. That is what smells fishy to me, and no one will answer the question.

One union, one level of representation, one airline, one list.

On this, we are in 100% agreement. I just think we need the help of the big boys to accomplish our goals, and my mother always said you catch more flys with honey than with, you know;)

Good conversation by the way. I would like to hear some input from some Delta guys though. FlyingSig, your thoughts on the matter???

Last edited:
That's it...

I don't know anyone who would argue with the ends that you want to achieve, but many of us are uncomfortable with the means: a plaintiff's lawsuit against the people that we work with every day. Now we have turned into unwitting spokesmen every time we occupy a major jumpseat. Most of them don't understand that most of us don't agree with the methods of the RJDC.

FL000,

Perfectly stated.

OK Metro and FL000:

Ok, both of you are against litigation to force ALPA to uphold their obligations to the dues paying members at ASA. What alternative do you propose that has not already been tried?

The reason why I keep harping on this topic is because it is an important issue and many pilots have not figured out how all the parts fit together. Further, pilots like Toy Soldier should have a way of learning what is going on before committing to a job. (when I hired in I had no idea of the differences in upgrade potential at Eagle, for example)

It is likely that I have failed to properly communicate what is going on, or that you do not care to learn the facts. Either way it is a loss for us collectively when our pilot group does not understand the issues well enough to use the opportunities provided on the Delta jumpseat to explain the issues that divide our union and provide positive solutions that enhance the careers of all pilots by working together.

Understand that if the RJDC fails, there will still be litigation over ALPA's scope. (Refer to the previous post on why scope based on aircraft type is an illegal horizontal restraint on trade) This is an opportunity for us pilots to have input on the outcome.

Now let me address some of your questions:

Given the friction that exists between the groups, and the fact that many Delta pilots are on the street right now, what is to keep DALPA from pushing to fly the RJs at mainline, with THEIR pilots.

The friction between the pilot groups has nothing to do with it. DALPA is pushing to obtain RJ's at mainline - after all that is the way the current DALPA contract is written. ALPA has shown their support at US Air for just this type of solution. The US Air Express pilots have already formed their own group using Mike Haber to sue ALPA. (Now keep in mind the US Air Express pilots have done everything possible to obtain the favor of ALPA in the past and what has it got them - nothing)

I would like to scope all DCI flying for ASA/Comair, thereby keeping all Delta flying in the "Delta family".

A good idea - but there are problems. First, ALPA does not want ASA and Comair performing 40% or more of Delta system flying. Potentially we would have enough votes to be a threat at the Board of Directors. Further, without DALPA's support there is no way we could negotiate this.

But what happens to the codeshare fee for departure carriers? That would leave them out in the cold. Again I ask the question, why are they soliciting help from those they intend to carve out of the deal. That is what smells fishy to me, and no one will answer the question.

We share common interests with Skywest and ACA pilots who are under threat from scope on the United front. Recently the United MEC threatened to enforce contract provisions that would end their code share entirely. (pure speculation on my part is that if Delta scoped all Delta brand flying Skywest would organize with ALPA very quickly)

Bottom line is that each pilot group negotiates what it can without respect for the harm that it may cause other pilot groups. We can not depend on DALPA's good will to watch out for our careers and our own MEC has been unable to represent us to Delta as a result of ALPA's interference and lack of support.

People like Bill Burgey and Woerth did not get to their positions by being idiots. They, and their attorneys, see this professionally, not emotionally. However, the pilots hold the votes and this is an emotional issue for many. Again, that is the reason I spend the time trying to get the facts out. As you pointed out, everyone seems to agree on one list once they understand that it will not cost them seniority, rank, or privledge. It really is the best solution for everyone, including the Delta pilots.

The RJDC, and the lawsuit, provide the excuse and motivation for ALPA and DALPA to compromise in ways that they could not if there were not reason to negotiate with the Connection pilots. Some radical Delta pilots simply believe that Connection guys are inferior and will resist any type of onelist for that reason alone. The law suit provides a good reason for doing what is best for everyone.

As for the negotiations that the RJDC has with ALPA you and I will both have to wait and see what, if anything, happens. We both know that our MEC has not ever been given the opportunity to represent us on this issue. However, the Court has reccommended to ALPA that they engage in settlement discussions with the RJDC plaintiffs - that is not much, but it is more progress than we have made within our own union.

Regards,
~~~^~~~ Fins to the left!

Prof,
I have to agree with Metro, FL000, and even Fliin' Sig. At yours and SDD's urging, I looked at the RJDC site. As stated it's mostly courtroom banter and propaganda. The base goal is still the same. I don't want to be part of such an effort and 90% of us at ASA feel this way. You know this to be true.
I'm tired of having to explain my way into the jumpseat, I'm tired of geting dirty looks from Delta pilots in the halls. I'm tired of reading these broken record manifestos online. You guys need to drop this. While I agree with your ultimate goals, a lawsuit isn't the answer. We need to scope non wholly owned airlines out and then work with DALPA for one list with a staple. Without DALPA's help we're dead in the water.
As you can see, RJDC has only served to divide is. It's time to get together. Stop this madness.

I'm with Fins. Representatives of ALPA, namely D. Woerth, signed a contract that limits my opportunities. Not only does that directly harm me it also was done to me by the president of the group that is supposed to protect my interests.

When we asked, via existing bylaws, for redress we were ignored.

I don't like suing my own either, but until someone can suggest a viable alternative that will get some kind of result it's our only option.

We are doing flying that mainline wanted no part of until two things happened. First, we got good at it. Second, they outpriced themselves and are now feeling the consequences of their actions.

One list protects us, restores their job security, and keeps management in check against whipsaw.

Unfortunately, despite overwhelming evidence to support the rationality of one list, a few mainline idiots are fighting it tooth and nail for what I can only surmise to be emotional and irrational reasons, namely ego. That's why RJDC exists and why it's a necessary, albeit unpleasant, reality.

Alright Prof, I'll give this a shot. This is the most I've said on this matter in 2 years, so it's not rehearsed and not eloquent.

Ok, both of you are against litigation to force ALPA to uphold their obligations to the dues paying members at ASA. What alternative do you propose that has not already been tried?

To be perfectly honest, I don't know. But that is the first time anyone has asked me. Personally, I don't think lawsuits are ever the answer. It's just not my style. I think its tacky, especially when it's against your brothers. I do allow for exceptions. For instance, Goldman vs. Simpson a few years ago in California was a real peach.

Also, I have some perspective. Let me explain. I left the miserable world of cubicles a few years ago. I now do what I love. I fly a great airplane. I work for a great company with great people. I have wonderful benefits. I already make more money than I would have had I stayed in the other career. I don't sit around and feel sorry for myself, thinking about how miserable my life and my job are.

Can it be better? Sure. But let's take it step by step, contract by contract. Not just our contract, but every other carrier's as well. Nature will take its course. As management pushes and pushes, further screwing every faction of DAL and DCI pilots (except the non-union ones) I think DALPA will see the benefit of one list. It might take a while, but I think we'll get there.

You know pilot mentality as well as I do. If you try to corner someone and force something on them, their going to come out furious and fighting. I'm talking about DALPA. If the RJDC is successful, you'd better like your job now because you won't have a friend anywhere else in the industry. We will become the red-headed, bastard brats. Hell, if the RJDC had been successful, every single ASA pilot would now be looking at hitting the street. EVERY SINGLE ONE. No wonder the senior guys don't like the idea.

The reason why I keep harping on this topic is because it is an important issue and many pilots have not figured out how all the parts fit together. Further, pilots like Toy Soldier should have a way of learning what is going on before committing to a job. (when I hired in I had no idea of the differences in upgrade potential at Eagle, for example)

I think you're scaring the crap out of pilots like Toy Soldier. If I were a pilot wanting to go to a major, especially Delta, I'd stay the hell away from DCI based on RJDC threats. I wouldn't want to sit in front of a panel at a Delta interview and try to explain my position on RJDC and how it's helping pilots in ALPA and DALPA. What's that you say? Support is anonymous? Sorry, I don't lie.

It is likely that I have failed to properly communicate what is going on, or that you do not care to learn the facts. Either way it is a loss for us collectively when our pilot group does not understand the issues well enough to use the opportunities provided on the Delta jumpseat to explain the issues that divide our union and provide positive solutions that enhance the careers of all pilots by working together.

Neither, Prof. You've done a great job explaining your side, and I have spent 2 years mulling the facts. It is funny that you think I'm ill-informed because I don't agree with you. It sounds like the rantings of the religious zealot you might find preaching on a street corner. It's much simpler than that: we have different opinions, period.

If I go of on an RJDC rant in the Delta jumpseat, I'm going to end up tugging my Samsonite up I-95. Quite frankly, I wouldn't blame the captain. I'm shocked to find that most of the Delta captains that I do jumpseat with (or they with me) are IN FAVOR of one list. This is a little known fact because they aren't going to give us any help when we are threatening to sue them. It's the ol' vinegar and honey thing, Prof. It's true in every aspect of life. It's an adage born in fundamental human behavior.

The friction between the pilot groups has nothing to do with it. DALPA is pushing to obtain RJ's at mainline - after all that is the way the current DALPA contract is written. ALPA has shown their support at US Air for just this type of solution.

If RJ's went to mainline (I assume you mean the 900s), this would complete the bridge that we need to cross the fuzzy border between our fleets. From those at DAL who are against one list, this is the primary argument that I hear: that we don't fly the same equipment. If we are flying 40, 50 and 70-seaters, and they are flying a 90-seat version of the same aircraft, then there's nothing in between; no division. In the long run, I think that would be a plus.

Regarding our own scope clause:
A good idea - but there are problems. First, ALPA does not want ASA and Comair performing 40% or more of Delta system flying. Potentially we would have enough votes to be a threat at the Board of Directors. Further, without DALPA's support there is no way we could negotiate this.

So to get DALPA's support you:

a) negotiate, explaining the merits of your case

b) sue 'em

As you pointed out, everyone seems to agree on one list once they understand that it will not cost them seniority, rank, or privledge. It really is the best solution for everyone, including the Delta pilots.

Again, the ends are not the point of contention. It's the means. I think even a lot of new Delta pilots would agree with your statement.

Man, I'm worn out. This is much more time than I ever wanted to spend on this topic. Please don't expect this kind of volley for each post. I just felt it was time that the silent majority got some air time.

Respectfully,
FL000

Latest resources

Back