• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ASA pay scales

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The entire pay scale would be rather lengthy to type in. Also, everything depends on growth. ASA is not currently growing, but there is much debate on this board on what the future holds.

First year is $19.02 plus $1.50 an hour per diem for every hour you are out of base. Figure on $19,000 to $25,000 (including your per diem) depending on how many trips you pick up and if you are able to get off reserve.

Second year jet FO is $33.65 an hour. My second year W2 (includes three months at first year rates) was $32,421.60 with another $3,700 in per diem.

From there on out figure on about 5% increases until you make Captain. The Captain upgrade will put you close to $50,000 and around $60,000 when you are senior enough to hold a line.

Right now it is taking around four to five years to hold a line as a Jet Captain. There are some junior Captains who upgraded back when we were growing, but many of those pilots have been displaced to Dallas and will probably eventually be displaced back to the right seat since we have less flying now (under the Delta Pilot's scope restrictions) than we did previously.

Prof,

On which aircraft were captains displaced to Dallas? With the reference to a right-seat displacement, I'm assuming you're speaking of the E-120. There's no way that there will be such activity in the jet in the near, or even distant, future.

By the way, I'll bet that if someone posted a message asking for the recipe for grandma's buttered squash, you'd find a way to get a scope dig in there. It gets kind of old, like a broken record...even for those who are on your side.

FL000

By the way, I'll bet that if someone posted a message asking for the recipe for grandma's buttered squash, you'd find a way to get a scope dig in there. It gets kind of old, like a broken record...even for those who are on your side.

Interesting you should mention hot, buttered squash. You know for years, all the hot, buttered squash in the country was made by a large company in Atlanta. Then, a few years back, a much smaller company, also in Atlanta, started making hot, buttered squash. They only sold their hot, buttered squash around the Atlanta at first. They were very profitable, and began to market their hot, buttered squash all around the Southeast. They continued to prosper and be profitable. Many people felt it was because the hot, buttered squash makers and the smaller company were paid significantly less than their hot, buttered squash making counterparts at the large company. Eventually the smaller company stumbled upon some new hot, buttered squash making technology that enabled them to expand even further. The technology was similar, and in some cases more sophisticated than the methods used to make hot, buttered squash at the large company.

After long last, the large company decided to purchase the small company and have them produce a good percentage of their hot, buttered squash and market it as their own. The smaller entity continued to prosper and grow at a staggering 20% per year.

Needless to say, the hot, buttered squash makers at the parent company didn't like this, and in a recent labor contract implemented a policy whereby the smaller company's growth was tied to larger company's growth.

According to some, this is terribly unfair. Now the small company is only growing at 5% per year. They lament that it is taking almost 2 whole years for the assistant hot, buttered squash makers to move up to head hot, buttered squash makers. Some of the hot, buttered squash makers at the small company can do nothing but complain they they are not head hot, buttered squash makers, or better yet, promoted directly to hot, buttered squash at the larger company. They argue that this is predetory "scope", and it is bad. "Inclusive scope" they argue, is more fair to the hot, buttered squash at the subsidiary , and it is good. The have even formed a "coalition" to sue the pants of the bargaining agent of the hot, buttered squash makers, insisting it is their fault for allowing these predetory practices. Much has been made of the issue. They believe everything the hot, buttered squash makers at the large company do is an effort to harm the career potential of the hot, buttered squash makers at the subsidiary, the most boisterous of whom claim they "never wanted to be hot, buttered squash makers at the big company anyway".

If you want the real truth, not one-sided propaganda with any bias or prejudice, you can read about the issues and see all the case studies at the website of the Regional Hot, Buttered Squash Makers Defense Coalition. They happily accept your donation of any extra money you may have.

Remember the mantra of the Regional Hot, Buttered Squash Makers Defense Coalition:

"Preditory scope is bad, but inclusive scope is good."

Bumper stickers are available to supporter pledging in excess of $100.00 per month. Contact the RHBSMDC for details at

www.RHBSMDC.com

Last edited:
Toy Soldier,

To answer your question with out any editorializing, the below rates are currently in effect and will stay until our new contract is signed at some point down the road.

CRJ (50) & ATR Captain

Year

1 54.46
2 56.08
3 57.78
4 59.50
5 61.29
10 70.36
15 81.57

CRJ (50) & ATR F/O

1 19.02
2 33.65
3 34.67
4 35.70
5 36.77
6 37.78
7 38.63

EMB-120 Captain

Year

1 43.08
2 44.37
3 45.70
4 47.08
5 48.49
10 55.56
15 64.63

EMB-120 F/O

1 19.02
2 26.62
3 27.42
4 28.25
5 29.09
6 29.97
7 30.57

FL000: The displacements were indeed on the E120. Those guys can no longer hold ATL E120 Capt, and are not senior enough to hold CRJ Capt. The cut off for the displacements was seniority number 925.

MetroSheriff,

Man, that was funny....thank you!

and...

....since we have less flying now (under the Delta Pilot's scope restrictions) than we did previously.

That's pretty funny too....(just when I thought we were making progress ;) )

Mind pointing out in the Jan. 1 schedule where mainline flying replaced ASA flying? I'd love to see it.... I can point out where SkyWest is taking over DFW due to the lack of scope in the ASA contract....

Touche' Metro, very intertaining.

I can point out where SkyWest is taking over DFW due to the lack of scope in the ASA contract....

FlyingSig,

Great point. I have yet to see where Delta is a threat to us. My feeling is that DALPA is potentially our greatest ally. What concerns me is ACA, SkyWest and Eagle (LAX). I have yet to see any RJDC propaganda that addresses the loss of block hours to Skywest, out of our DFW hub none the less. Regardless, I am not sure how suing ALPA is to our benefit. ALPA is in no position to force Delta to do anything, regardless of the outcome of any lawsuit.

From what I have seen the RJDC tactic is: READY, FIRE!, AIM.

Metro:

Have you privately e-mailed Flying Sig to see if he will write you a letter of recommendation?

And yes - the RJDC has tried to fix the problem of Skywest. That problem is part and parcel of the the fact that we have five separate labor groups competing for Delta's domestic narrow body flying.

It is a shame that you deride and ridicule the pilots that are trying to restore your career.

If you want to read a "real world" version of your squash story check out articles on CONNELL CO. v. PLUMBERS & STEAMFITTERS, 421 U.S. 616. In that case Jutice Powell found that "Labor policy clearly does not require, however, that a union have freedom to impose direct restraints on competition among those who employ its members." Further that, "Curtailment of competition based on efficiency is neither a goal of federal labor policy nor a necessary effect of the elimination of competition among workers. Moreover, competition based on efficiency is a positive value that the antitrust laws strive to protect."

Based on this reasoning, I would argue that your hot buttered squash makers have a good case against their oppressors. The only way for the hot buttered squash makers to fix the problem is to combine lists, because the Courts will not allow the artificial restrainsts on trade otherwise.

A union has the power to represent employees for collective bargaining purposes, but trying to limit a new, more efficient, way of doing business is illegal.

Of course in your case, you left out any mention of the same union representing the different labor groups to the same employer. You also left out any violation of the union's own Constitution and Bylaws, as well as bad faith in carrying out the union's fiduciary duties to represent both groups equally, without discrimination and without arbitrary conduct.

The RJDC litigation is based on ALPA's failure to properly represent members at ASA. However, I believe that separate litigation will attack ALPA's whole methodology of scoping flying by aircraft types based on US anti trust laws.

Simply put, ALPA is in legal hot water from many angles on this issue. It would be best for ALPA and the Delta MEC to fix their mess now. If an anti trust suit were won it could destroy scope at every single airline under US jurisdiction and the political climate is not favorable to ALPA right now.

Besides, ALPA loses nothing and gains much by simply doing the right thing :)

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back