Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFI2766

Folks,

Over the last 12 calendar months, I've had three absences due to being sick and one absence due to fatigue. Genuine absences, it's not like I've been calling in sick because I wanted to go to the Braves game, etc.

Received the 'memorialization' of my unsatisfactory attendance record. Was told that next absence would have to be FMLA approved to prevent an occurence, and possible termination.

I'm not scheduled to work till Sunday, but am sick with some sort of virus. Doubt I'm gonna make it. Going to the Doc today, gonna try to get him to approve an FMLA absence so that I might hopefully get to keep my job.

Have I covered my bases? Someone else I should talk to? ALPA? Who? Suggestions appreicated.

First you will not be fired for 4 absenses in 6 months. ASA cannot make you fly sick, this policy is to stop the people who call in sick 12-15 times a year while not being sick. Don't worry about the termination. If you are not leaving tis company for over 1 year, don't worry about it because occurences drop off after 1 year. If you must, have your Doc fill out the FMLA. Expect it to get denied for the smallest thing, and then have to fight to get it approved. In the long run, don't worry about the occurences unless you do it 5 in 12 which requires a 19.a hearing with the chief pilots. If that happens, bring an ALPA rep.

If you fill out the paperwork and turn it in (correctly filled out) within two weeks of requesting it, it will be approved. I've spoken with the ASA leave coordinator and with the contractor who approves it, and they are both reasonable people. Get it filled out, and it should be fine.

Plus: Have returned from Doc with completed FMLA paperwork.

Minus: Have returned from Doc with 'scrip for anti-nausea meds: Taken rectally.

Has been a long coupla days....

Folks,

Over the last 12 calendar months, I've had three absences due to being sick and one absence due to fatigue. Genuine absences, it's not like I've been calling in sick because I wanted to go to the Braves game, etc.

Received the 'memorialization' of my unsatisfactory attendance record. Was told that next absence would have to be FMLA approved to prevent an occurence, and possible termination.

I'm not scheduled to work till Sunday, but am sick with some sort of virus. Doubt I'm gonna make it. Going to the Doc today, gonna try to get him to approve an FMLA absence so that I might hopefully get to keep my job.

Have I covered my bases? Someone else I should talk to? ALPA? Who? Suggestions appreicated.

I've got a suggestion. File for FMLA and take a month off for yourself, and tell them thanks for the vacation.

Then remind them to send you a check for all your accumulated sick time and vacation, then maybe next time they won't hassle you when you get a cold.

keep in mind that the online form has to be filled in within 5 days of you calling in sick. Then you have 15 days to get them the paperwork. Made that mistake and had it denied when I submitted online 7 days after calling in.

Latest resources

Back