• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Army of one!! YEAH!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
However, at no time have I said that because the wages were low, I would do less than my job, be less than professional, give less than my very best.

I didn't hear any mention of money or wages specifically.

Ah, yes. The respect issue. Look at me. Don't I look cute in my bars and hat? Respect. Hmmm.

An excellent reason for making a conscious effort at substandard service to one's employer. Sign me up for that army of one. I can't hardly wait to perform substandard work right away.

In fact, I'll start now. Where do we begin?

avbug said:
Ah, yes. The respect issue. Look at me. Don't I look cute in my bars and hat? Respect. Hmmm.

An excellent reason for making a conscious effort at substandard service to one's employer. Sign me up for that army of one. I can't hardly wait to perform substandard work right away.

In fact, I'll start now. Where do we begin?

avbug,

You sound more than eager to cross a picket line - should it come to that.:mad:

People that disrupt legal job actions and justify it with statements like yours scare me...

"When you're done playing army, there are 10.000 other pilots who are ready to take your place and try to do their job without whining." - avbug

You left out the part about, "doing whatever is necessary to feed your family." (I will refrain from throwing out the term for crusting over a wound.):eek:

There is no pride in underachievement.

There has been no talk of picketing. That's an entirely different subject. Refusing to do one's job because of unacceptable conditions or an intollerable situation, in a legal and organized manner is one thing. Getting one's licks in by insisting on doing a half-baked job is another matter entirely.

Underachievement is nothing to be proud about...if anything it can only be a source of shame.

Doing whatever is necessary to feed the family is fine; there is no law against doing it well. Advocating substandard performance is not only improper, it is unprofessional. One should give one's all in receipt for an agreed wage. If one feels disrespected or that the wage is inappropriate, protest it and change it openly through accepted channels, shut up and keep quiet, or find another job.

How can one expect respect, if one advocates unprofessionalism in one's calling? The hyporcacy alone demands that no respect be given; the act of seeking recognition or change through underachievement speaks to petty slothfulness and not to professionalism.

What legal job actions have I disrupted? Cite a single one.

You SHOULD leave out the term for a crusted wound, as it has no place in this conversation.

I do believe I hit a nerve with you, Mr. bug. Something in your past maybe??

I use "Underachiever...and proud of it" in my signature sarcastically. I borrowed it from it's very profound author - Bart Simpson. (avbug, you won't see the humor in that) As you may or may not realize, it takes a lot of hard work and motivation to succeed in aviation. It also takes the determination and willingness to fight for what you feel is fair.

CAL is starting contract negotiations next month (the reason for this post). The originial author certainly has the right to do what he/she feels is necessary to get management's attention and to point out the slogan "Working Together" means nothing without action.

When it is time for Mr. bug to get a raise does he say to his boss, "Whatever amount is fine. And by-the-way, I would like to work a little more for less $$?" I doubt it.

Without going into one of those long, boring debates, please don't undermined their efforts. Don't be too eager to take their place and do their job without whining.

RichardFitzwell said:

avbug,

You sound more than eager to cross a picket line - should it come to that.:mad:

People that disrupt legal job actions and justify it with statements like yours scare me...

"When you're done playing army, there are 10.000 other pilots who are ready to take your place and try to do their job without whining." - avbug

You left out the part about, "doing whatever is necessary to feed your family." (I will refrain from throwing out the term for crusting over a wound.):eek:

Richard, maybe you know something I don't, but I didn't take avbugs comments to imply anything like crossing a picketline. I think that he was just stating his belief (like my own) that there are others willing to take your job if you no longer want it.

With that said, I do empathize with the CAL Captain. It sometimes just drives one crazy to be loyal, yet see no loyalty come back at you. However, I can't agree with him. To become an army of one means that you have lowered yourself to their level. My momma told me not to do that.

regards

BTW, you're right, SCAB is not a word to throw around. If it fits, then so be it. But don't infer anything that you can't substantiate.

This "army of one" is mindless to post something like this on a nonsecured board.

I would hope that whomever posted this would realize that something like this, if really written by a CO pilot, could come back to haunt the pilots at CO during negotiations. Ask any AA pilot what happens to one's coffers when a federal judge rules against you in these matters.

While I can relate and sympathize as a furloughed pilot myself, I would hope I'd never be naive enough to think that a post like this couldn't come back to haunt me, those that depend on me and those that work with me.

Last edited:
I'd like to hear some comments from high time captains on this thread.

Is there any mandate in work rules that this pilot MUST call for a part to be ready at the gate, head off mistakes made by operations or dispatch, buy the cheapest fuel, or calculate and use best routes? If not, being less diligent may not be a legal matter if you are not required to be extraordinarily dilligent. In most matters, you need only show "due dilligence" in order to be in the right.

The question for me is "How much dilligence is 'due'? " Is it possible that his only responsibility is to operate safely according to the FAA rules and the operating certificate?

Quote from "avbug" a.k.a God:

-----"Go get em, tough guy (er, oh, exhalted one).

When you're done playing army, there are 10.000 other pilots who are ready to take your place and try to do their job without whining.

Have a ball.----"

Hey bug, do you ever have anything good to say? It seems to me like you spend most of your time on this board lecturing and degrading people. I don't remember when you were appointed the great overlord of this board. I cannot argue that your knowledge is somthing to be proud of, and has been helpful to countless people on this board, however, I think it's time the question is asked...

Why are you so bitter, surely a person who is as "wonderful" as you should just be thrilled with life and seem a little more happy. Maybe your trying to make up for some sort of personal shortcomings in your private life. I guess we'll never know.

Well said Feduppilot.

Latest resources

Back