Army Helicopter Flying

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Flying Helos is a lot more fun

Flying Helos is a lot more fun than flying fixed wing. The only problem is there are not to many jobs that pay well on the outside.
The 4 years of flying the Cobra was the best and funest flying I ever did.

Re: Flying Helos is a lot more fun

OPIE01 said:
Flying Helos is a lot more fun than flying fixed wing. The only problem is there are not to many jobs that pay well on the outside.
The 4 years of flying the Cobra was the best and funest flying I ever did.

I hear that a lot, OPIE, from people that have flown both. Why do you feel that rotary is "funner"? I've got limited fixed wing experience, but I do know I love flying those **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** whirly birds. Nothing quite like skids in the trees, dark nights, under NVGs!

Cheers,

- Juris

Helos are more fun

Helos are more fun because you have to actually fly it not only to get it off the ground but to keep it in flight.
You give and airplane enought power and airspeed, it will take off on it's own.
My wife will even tell you, "there is nothing like watching your loved one from 6 feet away, pull to a hover and then climb away"
I've been flying military for 19 years now, and any time I hear rotor noise I turn and look in amazement, it never gets old to me to see a helicopter in a hover.
There is nothing like popping over a tree line, pulling to a hover and landing in your front yard the size of a trailer. (I've never actually landed in my front yard, just the back parking lot of a convenience store), but I could have physically don't it if I had the oppertunity.
As you can tell, I miss the thrill of flying attack helos, but I sure do enjoy the benefits of being an Air Force fighter pilot.
I guess the big difference is, in fighters out of a 1 hour mission you have about 15 minutes of challeging fun. Where in helos the whole 1 hour mission is a challenge keeping the bird airborne and not hitting trees.

Have a good day and may God continue to bless you and your family.

AHPilot said:
Hey Everybody,
My Questions:
Is it possible to switch branches, say after becoming a helicopter pilot, and flying for some time could I maybe transfering into the air force to fly fixed wing...specifically C-130's or other cargo transports?

I want to also fly for the airlines eventually--once done with the military...how would the helicopter time look?

I chose this path and although lengthy (22 years and some change) it worked for me and was a genuine blast.

I initially went in enlisted and then applied to Rucker a year later. 8 months later I was down there experiencing the joys of being a Warrant Officer Candidate (WOC). After that did 6 years at Ft. Campbell and went the ERAU route. Talked to an OTS recruiter for the Air Force and arranged it so I left the Army 1 day and was in the Air Force the next. Then Officer Training School and Pilot training. Then all kinds of fun in 8 different kinds of aircraft including the LearJet, M/C-130's, and the B-707 among others.

Bottom Line:
If you want to fly for the airlines, I'd go the ROTC route first then OTS second, followed by flight school and an assignment or two in a heavy...C-17, KC-10, C-5, etc. Nothing against the ARMY or my ARMY breathren but helicopter flying won't help that much. If you want to have the time of your life in the cockpit, flying night vision goggles in the mud then have at it in the "Army of One". There is no comparision in the quality of life between the ARMY or Air Force either. Unless you opt for a commando job in the Air Force you'll be bellyachin because you can't find the remote control while laying on the king size bed. In the ARMY, life will be what I like to call austere. Tents, mud, eating out of pouches, and picking critters out of places you don't want them. I loved both for different reasons but try to look down the road and remember you can always defect to another service later like I did.

Good Luck and God Bless

What every you do, have fun

My last post on this subject.
It took me 19 years to figure this out, but I finally did. Don't judge yourself or your accomplishments based on someone elses accomplishments. Make a decision what you want out of life, adjust as the curve balls come at you, and go for it. Never take NO for an answer, there is always a way to make things happen if you really want something bad enough. It might take a few extra years, but if you want it, it is worth the wait.
I have met too many people that either got out after their first tour in the military, or quit trying to get the job they really wanted. Then 10 years later you hear them say, "You know if I would have just stuck it out I would be almost ready to retire, or I would be doing such an such."
Make a decision and stick with it, and don't ever look back and say "Boy I wish I had" or "Man, I should have."

Bottom line: If you want to fly a helo and then try to go fixed wing then try. No one is going to cut your head off for trying. Only you can decide what you want, what is good for someone might not be good for others. God made us different from each other for a reason. Just give 100% in all you do, and last but not least HAVE FUN DOING WHAT EVER YOU DO, NO MATTER HOW BAD THINGS MIGHT LOOK LIKE THEY SUCK. ALWAYS TRY TO TURN LEMONS INTO LEMONADE. ANYONE CAN PUSH A ROCK DOWN HILL(ie complain how bad they have it), BUT IT TAKE SOME REAL DETERMINATION TO PUSH A HEAVY BURDEN UPHILL(ie Work to make things better).

As my Wrestling Coach used to say: LUCK is when Preparation meets Opportunity.

So prepare yourself for Good luck and may God Bless you in all you do.

Latest resources

Back