Anyone here ever commute?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OneBadLT123

So, as you may know it life gets in the way of everything, and I am debating on commuting back and forth to work. (combination of family/personal reasons)

I am thinking about doing the MSP-ORD commute, we are in CASS, and I know there are a lot of options to/from ORD or MDW to MSP. (UA, SWA, AA, DAL..All of which we have agreements with)

We get 4 day off breaks so it is doable day wise, but just wondering if anyone here tried the commuter thing from a dispatchers perspective? How did it go? What was your personal experience? etc... Any information and experiences are greatly appreciated.

Living arrangements are not an issue at either station.

DX Safe!

nobody huh? Am I the only one crazy enough to consider it? Haha

I have lived in base for years and also commuted for years. I can say hands down it is MUCH easier to live in base. Of course this is coming from a pilot. If you can tolerate where you are at I would stay put.

When RD relocated from ICT to RFD in 06, I did the commute thing for 9 months as I didn't want any part of living in IL in the winter. I was hoping it was going to just be a temporary thing until something else came along.

RFD wasn't the easiest to get in and out of, but it worked out ok most of the time. I either had to fly RFD-DEN-ICT or ORD-ICT. If I flew out of ORD I just took the bus from RFD to ORD. There was only once during that time when I couldn't get into RFD, ORD, or MDW and had to fly to MKE on F9 and rent a car.

I just planned to get back to RFD the day prior to my scheduled shift as I didn't want to deal with a delayed flight screwing me over.

We worked a 4-4 schedule and about every other week would trade a day to get 5 off.

It worked for the time being, but no way would I have done it much longer.

Yea, I would think a commute after a while would be more stress than what it is worth...

I figured an MSP - ORD one wouldn't be too bad, and wost case scenario, its only about a 5 hours drive if I absolutely needed to.

Unfortunately, the woman has some medical issues that need to be taken care of in MSP, so it still is a possibility. It's still out there and I have a couple months to come up with a plan

I figured an MSP - ORD one wouldn't be too bad, and wost case scenario, its only about a 5 hours drive if I absolutely needed to.

Unfortunately, the woman has some medical issues that need to be taken care of in MSP, so it still is a possibility. It's still out there and I have a couple months to come up with a plan

In a case like that, I would do anything to make it work. Family and health always take priority....

I am going to attempt it. At worst the drive between the two is about 5-6 hours. Only thing that worries me is we are approaching the season where there will be a lot of irregular operations at both airports. (winter)

ORD Commute..

I am going to attempt it. At worst the drive between the two is about 5-6 hours. Only thing that worries me is we are approaching the season where there will be a lot of irregular operations at both airports. (winter)

Unlike Minneapolis Minnesota, Chicago O'Hare has a lot of problems with weather and delays. That would be a tough commute for someone. I'm sure it can be done, but won't be very easy. That's my two cents for what it's worth!

Last edited:
I have been a commuter for most of my short 5 year dispatching career. Commuting is not as bad as people think. You just need a plan B for when things go south. I been lucky enough to have always made it to work, but I have been late a few times.

Latest resources

Back