• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

any news?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The Heron you refered to that was used extensively in the Carib. was made by Dehaviland, you can find pictures at www.airliners.net. It was a 19 seat powered by inverted 6 cyl. engines. Jack Riley modified a few with 290 HP Lycs. The 4 engine Cessna was a prototype. Piper also made a 4 engine prototype commuter it was called the Pocono.

DC-9

Yep, you're right. That will teach me to post before morning coffee.

Did Dehaviland buy the design from Cessna? In the back of my mind I am thinking of this, or do I need more java?

The Cessna was also UGLY but as far as I know thats the only connection. The Heron was a streched Dove with 4 engines.
The Dove made it's first flight in 1945, The Heron in 1950.
I think the Cessna design was in the late 50's.

Some of those Hurons look like they bumped their head on the way out of the hangar and got a huge welt on their forehead!:D

>>>None are flying today, the last operator was an outfit in PR back in the 70's.

I know of one Heron which was flying in Australia about a year ago, doing non-scheduled air-tour charters. Also, last time I was in Hawaii, (about 3 years ago) there were several Herons sitting at Honolulu. I don't know their story, but they didn't look like they'd been sitting since the 1970's I think you'll find there's a few others still operating in odd corners of the planet.

regards

Latest resources

Back