Anr headsets

dougal28

Total Time
3000+
Looking to buy a new ANR headset for x/mas anyone got any suggestions. Looking for something moderately priced.

dondk

Don't you wish
Total Time
enuf
I use Pilot Avionics PA-79... Great set, one of the best ratings on reduction. Albeit a little bulky but has built it rechargable battery with 50 + hours before needing a recharge. Great unit for noisy props...

Also own the lower model PA-76, just as good but needs recharging in about 10 hours

I do hear though the David Clark's ANR is also a great unit...

Depends on how much Santa wants to spend though!

I'm Q

Cookin'
Total Time
David Clark H10-20X is a wonderful ANR headset. And DC backs their headsets. It's very comfortable to boot.

tcoll777

Total Time
flightcom

I have the flightcom Denalis'(sp?) and love em. Extreamly light and feel great, even after a 8hr. flight instructing day. They take one 9v battery that last about 30hrs... But the best thing to do is buy a pair with a trial period and see if they work for you. I went through lightspeeds, Pilot Avionics, and DC's before I settled on the flightcoms.

Twotter76

Masterless Samurai
Total Time
enough
David Clarks are the way to go if you are going to own the headset for any length of time. My personal choice is the 13.4XL which uses 6 (count em 6) AA batteries. Seems to get about 45-55 hours per set in the turboprop that I fly. Fits extremely well and is a very light headset. It is not inexpensive at $550-600 but it is well worth it. I have been using it for over a year now and have no complaints.

Twotter76

D

dcflyer10

Any one have a list of ANR headsets that don't require a AA/AAA battery pack (have built in NiCd or something).

I like the idea of ANR, but am annoyed by this battery pack business in most of them.

Looking for an ANR set with a recharchable battery of some sort, preferably one where the battery doesn't add a bunch of bulk.
Is there such a thing? lol :confused:

dondk

Don't you wish
Total Time
enuf
Pilot Avionics has several ANR sets with built in batteries. I own 2 of them and the weight difference is very little. The ANR is rated like a DC and is in the top 5 % of all ANR sets. Price, the PA-79's are the most expensive model but two to three times the battery life (1000 recharges on the batteries) with a lifespan of 50+ hours before needing a recharge. Weight I think is around 14 oz.

I used them in the Dash and 1900 and found them to be excellent investment...

D

dcflyer10

Ok, cool thanks for the advice. How much is the 79? All I can find is the price in pounds. Any idea what this headset goes for in the US? Or better yet, a link to a place I can buy it :D

What happens after the 1000 battery cycles? New battery, or new headset? Hope its not new headset, lol :eek:

Warranty? Says 5-yr, is that correct?

[Fixed a minor typo]

Nevermind, I found the price... $700? Is it possible to find it for less, short of searching on Ebay?

dondk

Don't you wish
Total Time
enuf
I have bought from
http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com/
he tends to be cheaper than most by $20 or so dollars... Last price from him was $389...

After 1000 cycles of recharging, send the set in and they replace the battery (actually the set). I hed to send them in once and they gave me a new set (not for battery, other problem) Turnaround was literally 48 hours, great service and support from the company.

Headset with rechargeable NiMH battery weighs 14.8 ounces, 45-60 hours on a full charge.

I think 5yrs is standard on the warranty...

eddie

Total Time
If you already own a comfortable headset you should look into Headsets Inc. they retrofit anr into your headset.

I bought this in 1997, and the anr still sounds great. I used to use a david clark anr, but they are much less comfortable than my peltor. It does have a battery pack (9 volt), but unlike the trouble I had with the dc it doesn't get switched on by accident in my flight kit.

The price is a little under $200 dollars, and if you want you can install the kit yourself.

D

dcflyer10

Whats the diff between the Pilot 17-76 and 17-79?

The price diff. is like 40 bucks, but the 17-76 weighs 12 oz. and the 17-79 is a little over 14 oz.

I'd go for the lighter one, but what's the catch? Does the -79 have better passive attenuation or something? More battery life?

Any ideas?

dondk

Don't you wish
Total Time
enuf
76 is lighter, slightly better mic (position wise only) but the mic's are the same. Battery on 76 is 24 hours I think before a recharge is necessary.

79's mic is a bit more bulky to position but that would be my ONLY complaint. Otherwise battery life is a good 55 hours ( I recharge weekly the 79's, the 76's were every 3 days). ANR on the 79's are about 10-15% better than the 76's. That is because the ear cups are deeper and the ANR is slightly better

76's use foam ear seals, 79's are gel...

anr button on 79's are covered while the 76's are not... Realistically it is all cosmetic stuff thereafter...

Jet_Dreamer

Living The Dream??
Total Time
enough
Any one use Sennheiser headsets (the active ones)? Have you compared them with others? How do they weigh?