Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ck130

Greetings all,

Here's the question. The folks use a BE-90 for business and they recently hired a guy to fly "copilot" for them cause they don't like going into places like Chicago and New York single pilot. I told this guy he can't log SIC in a BE-90 and he should log it all as PIC. He has all the required tickets but he only has about 400TT with 50 multi. They fly part 91. Did I give this guy bad gouge or is it legal for him to log it as PIC. Part 2 do you think he will get strange looks down the road when he has king air PIC time at this early stage in his career. I would hate for this guy to get screwed 5 years down the road because I gave him bad info.
Thanks

Fly Safe
ck130

KingAir time

The KingAir 90 is less than 12.5 and therefore doesn't require a type, yes? Sure, as long as he's multiengine rated and is actually sole manipulator of the controls, i.e. flying the airplane, he can log PIC for the time he spends actually piloting the aircraft. He cannot log any time during which he is not actually the sole manipulator of the controls. During that time, he is a passenger.

In other words, he goes with your folks and the pilot and he flies the airplane for 1.0. He gets to log 1.0 of PIC, multi and turbine time, along with night or instrument, as applicable.

I don't see why logging the time would look strange at all, as long as your friend is logging his time legally. Many people besides professionals fly Kingairs. Example: I know of an attorney in town who owns a Kingair. He flies it all over to meet with clients and for other law firm business. No different than if he owned and flew a Bonanza, Baron or Seneca. This next example may be remote, but I'll provide it anyway. IASCO in Napa, California trains JAL multi students in Kingairs. I should think those instructors are logging all of their time. :rolleyes:

Where he must be very careful is in the area of compensation. He CANNOT accept compensation of any manner if he is a Private pilot.

Hope that helps a little.

PS-Wiggums, below, is 100% correct. My comment about the IASCO Kingair instructors logging their valuable PIC-multi-turbine time was made, in part, tongue-in-cheek. ;)

Last edited:
See 61.51(e). If your buddy is the sole manipulator of the controls of an aircraft for which he is rated then he can log that time as PIC.

bobbysamd said:
IASCO in Napa, California trains JAL multi students in Kingairs. I should think those instructors are logging all of their time.

This is different. Instructors can log PIC anytime that they are acting as instructors, even if they don't touch the controls and the other pilot is logging PIC also.

Last edited:
ck130

Your advice seems fine, however, make sure to stress to your friend to really KNOW the airplane as if he was the full-time PIC. Nothing worse than not being able to answer basic system and operating questions at you dream-job interview. Especially if it's the largest and latest plane he's flown. At 400 hours total time, his name must be "Lucky".

Also, a little dual might not look bad if the other guy is qualified to give it.

Last edited:
I was wondering if the guy had a high altitude endorsement. Flying a pressurized King Air I would think required the endorsement. If he didn't have one can he still log PIC in the King Air.

high altitude endorsement

This is an interesting question indeed. You do not need the High altitude endorsement to LOG PIC in a pressurized aircraft. However, you do need the endorsement to ACT as pilot in command. In this case, he is the sole manipulator of the controls in an aircraft whose category and class are included on his certificate. But... while he's doing this, and assuming the left-seater is not an instructor, the "captain" is a passenger. Therefore Who is ACTING as PIC? Or can the Captain ACT as PIC in a situation where he's not technically allowed to LOG it? Does anyone follow my logic here?

If the captain is an instructor, it's all moot.

The Captain Mom is not an instructor and this guy does not have a high altitude endorsement. Obviously he is not the actual captain but he needs to be able to log the time some how which is why I suggested he log it all as PIC. This seems reasonable since he does most of the actual flying, i.e sole manipulator. However, I wasn't sure if he need the high altitude endorsement or a formal checkout, i.e. flight safety, in order to legally serve as PIC of a BE-90. Thanks for the input

Fly Safe
ck130

Latest resources

Back