AMICEATM!! wtf??? Comair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mitsipilot

Have any of you all seen the latest issue of AOPA that has an article about a columnist going to Comair Flight Academy for a IPC. If you haven't, read it. You will laugh your a$$ off.

Do people really teach these ridiculous acronyms (AMICEATM)? What a joke!! They also mentioned that Comair instructs students to taxi off of the taxiway centerline.

Please, Comair guys tell me this is not true.

AOPA Comair article

I read the article. I was chagrined, to say the least, that a professional flight school would teach students not to taxi on the taxiway centerline. I can still hear my instructor hammering me twenty years ago to taxi on the centerline. Moreover, taxiing on the centerline is your best guarantee of avoiding obstructions.

In the interests of fairness and equal time, maybe a Comair type can jump in and explain the rationale of taxiing off centerline.

I wouldn't be that critical of acronyms, though. Don't forget GUMPS, which goes back to T-6 days. GUMPS saved plenty of students from landing gear up. We taught a variation of GUMPS at MAPD in our A36s as a pre-maneuver flow as well as in the pattern.

I don't understand why someone would go to Comair just for an IPC, unless it was only to find something about which to write an article. If I were flying and were instructing, I can guarantee that I'd give a comp check that is just as thorough (and ball busting) as Comair's, and for much less money. I am not criticizing the school; just the rationale behind the magazine piece.

PS-the Trimotor article was excellent. :)

Last edited:
I agree that using the GUMPS check is a very good idea. I use it myself, but when you start making acronyms for every little task it can get very confusing. Frankly it is just a waste of time. Also the article said that the AMICEATM is used at airlines; yeah right, name one. Airlines do not teach this way.

I think this is just hilarious. Come on now, they were flying
a C-172, not the friggin Space Shuttle.

Didn't read the article....worked there too long ago to remember the acronyms...

but as for the off centerline topic.... was this refering to taxiway or runway? At DAL, training department says it's a good idea at night to, when taking the active, offset from the centerline so traffic on final and downfield traffic can distinguish airplane lights from runway/airport lights.

Can't think of a good reason to do this on a taxiway though.....

Just asked a friend about this and he said that they taxi off centerline per ground control's request due to volume of traffic that Sanford has. This allows 2 cessnas to occupy the same taxiway.

This is from a friend who worked at the academy.

That's the same way it's done in DAB. There's a crack on both sides that can be used as centerline. I didn't read the article either so I don't know if that's what their refering to.

I have been a student and instructor for the academy. Sanford can get crazy at times and the only reason they have you taxi off to the right is to allow two-way traffic to go back and forth.
as for AMICEATM, it is actually a very reliable and good approach brief. Whn coupled with a briefing strip or any other standard approach plate brief, it is very helpful in ensuring that every item has been taken care of so yuo can concentrate and stay ahead of the airplane.
Take it easy!

Just a quick note here about taxiing on the center line. I fly into TEB alot. If you've ever been to TEB, you've noticed that the taxiway lights are in the middle of the taxiway but they rise out of the pavement about 1 inch. Therefore, if you taxi right down the middle of the line, you hit every light and it makes the ride very uncomfortable. I have also cut a nosewheel tire doing this (carved an inch chunk out of the tire, $200).
Everytime I taxi I keep about 1-2 feet away from the centerline so as not to hit the lights. I also witness just about every other airplane doing the same exact thing.

Latest resources

Back