Ameriflight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigDave

I am looking for some information about flying for Ameriflight, specifically out of BUR in the lance. What are schedules like? How many hours a week are you able to log? Is it possible to commute from San Diego?

Thanks

heh, same boat I was in when I started working there.
OK.. Lance schedules out of BUR are not exactly commuter-friendly. When I was at Ameriflight, Lance schedules out of BUR went up towards Mammoth, out to the desert, Bakersfield, and I think one was going down to San Diego or Carlsbad. Then there's a REALLY cool run... if I remember it's AMF109, and you leave BUR at like 5 PM, go to MYF, pick up stuff, land at Hawthorne (next to LAX) and then fly back to BUR.. total duty time was like 4 hours, and you'd get paid for 8. That was the most senior Lance run out of Burbank. But if you do get that one, you could potentially commute from San Diego, but dude, your looking at L.A. traffic 5 days a week. Sucks! Your best bet is to stick it out, and when San Diego outbase opening comes up, bid for it.

I bid it when they first took over that run from Airnet, and i got it. I worked it till I left AMF.

Have fun... it's a great place to work!

Have any of you AMF guys encountered the folks paying to play with the SIC programs? Do ops specs require a SIC for certain aircraft or are they just placarding the autopilot "inop"?

I.e. is the time legimate SIC?

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Let me put it to you this way...

AMF has only 2 aircraft that require FO's, and those are EMB-120, and LR35. Those seats aren't for sale.

Other aircraft... they give you "SIC checkout" and then you can go and log the time. How legit is it? Beats me... I never did any of that. I've flown with guys who bought a few hundred hours in a Chieftain. How they logged it is beyond me? They can't log it PIC because I've signed for the aircraft and it was flown under Part 135. SIC - well.. Chieftains don't require SIC's, but who knows under what loophole they get to log or how.

I'm not sure either. I had another panicky SIC guy in the sim this last week and he wouldn't say much, other than AMF is requiring him to pass a simulator ride. We worked on using a light touch for a bit, threw in some partial panel work, and he should pass the next round.

Thanks much!
Jedi Nein

Foreign Bastards at AMF

working for Ameriflight was probably the biggest mistake of my career so far. I was hired as a Metro Capt and already had about 2000hrs in the a/c. The CP made me feel like I was being paid in top order because of my experience, not true, everyone after me was paid the same or higher and had less experience. Oh well.

If I would have known that they were engaged in the pay for right seat time i would have never gone there, but to late, I was already out of a job. All the Dutchies that I flew with had a type on the SA-227 on their comm cert. and even though they were right seat they would still log it as PIC. Somehow they convinced a FED up in SEA-TAC that it was completely legal.(Still have reservations about that one) I actually got paid extra to fly with these guys and I found out shortly why, not to metion the company was running a total scam, ie. the money they paid actually paid my salary. I have never met a bunch of guys that were complete know-it-alls that were as bad as the Dutchies. Gee.. they began telling me how to fly the a/c, and I was a IOE capt for a defunked 121 commuter, so that went over like a lead balloon. And helf of them couldnt fly their way out of paper bag. I know that I am loping them all together but on the whole they were horrible (at least most of them).

Rant Over..

So do you guys at Ameriflight always have FO's in the Metro and 1900 even though you don't need them, or do some places not have guys there because no one is paying to sit there. Also do the put a FO in the 99?

When I was there, and I was one of the only Chieftains that flew nights out of BUR, I had FO's. I saw FO's in Beech 99's who were flying OAK-BUR-OAK or viceversa. They have sooo many flights every night between OAK and BUR it's not even funny, and most of those night runs have FO's whether they're done in 99's or in Metros or 1900. Day runs usually don't have FO's because they have a layover at outstation.. unless they're flying a Chieftain.

On the contrary (in reply to above posts') Ameriflight was one of the best aviation decisions of my career. I should have stayed longer than I did! Generally a very good bunch of people and a chance to get some great experience. Time to left seat of a turbine for me was less than 6 weeks.

The paid for SIC program is a win/win for the company. The SIC pays for their training and checkride and the chance to sit in the right seat. No overhead and pure profit. As a Captain you get to play flight instructor.....I approached it in this frame of mind and had no problems with my FO's.

In response to an above post about SIC requirements and A/P's. At AMF it was a real treat to fly an airplane with an A/P! I have not looked at 135 Reg's in a long while but an A/P is not required single pilot for freightdogs! Correct me anybody if that is wrong!

Latest resources

Back