American or Southwest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CRAWDADDY

Which one has the superior business model in the post deregulation age?

Mr. Will suggests that Southwest does but didn't AMR grow a lot in the eighties and nineties? And, does Will think that Southwest isn't unionized just because it's financially viable? Seems Georgie can't think outside paradigms learnt long ago.

Which one has the superior business model in the post deregulation age?

Mr. Will suggests that Southwest does but didn't AMR grow a lot in the eighties and nineties? And, does Will think that Southwest isn't unionized just because it's financially viable? Seems Georgie can't think outside paradigms learnt long ago.

This guy is a goof! Southwest is one of the most unionized Airlines in the country.

um... that's his point, Willie.

Correct. But I'll bet that George Will doesn't know that. He thinks bad unions caused the fall of American; good management that kept out unions made SWA profitable.

Will is entitled to his own opinion, not his own facts.

SWA pilots on Foodstamps? Never

A couple years ago, I mentioned here an article where the author spread the blame for what has gone wrong with the airlines.

Alex Jones might see a conspiracy everywhere, but a least he doesn't have these blinders which lead him to conclude "it's all the GOP's fault" or "The Dems did that!"

The take on SWA is very different from Will's

Correct. But I'll bet that George Will doesn't know that. He thinks bad unions caused the fall of American; good management that kept out unions made SWA profitable.

Will is entitled to his own opinion, not his own facts.

Not exactly...he said "improvident contracts entered into to purchase labor peace"...SWA has no defined benefit pension, and now neither will AA. While the country and it's economy were growing, companies could afford to pay for a retired workforce, but no more, just as municipalities are finding out (see Stockton, CA, and Orange Co. before that.)

I don't think he's trashing the unions. He's trashing the contracts management enters into with unions. Even more interesting and informative is the comments on Galbraith.

Interesting context with the Airbii purchase last year. EADS had to know, or at least figure, that AMR couldn't pay for these leases under their current financial situation. So why would they enter that contract?

It's not all about you.

Latest resources

Back