• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Am. Airlines Scope forces Eagle Furlough

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If the pilots would come together and make onelist a issue worth striking over AMR would have to negotiate.

Contrary to all the rhethoric, Eagle pilots have the power to do absolutely nothing due to the sixteen year contract (except fly by the book ...... :)

As an interested observer, it seems that the mainline pilots hold all the power. If they would fight for equality of pay rather than scope clauses, they would be better off in the long run.

These scope clauses are taking away profits which airlines need now.

Equal pay would have the same effect as a scope clause. RJs would become uneconomical (or less attractive) on some routes, thus RJ flying would be restricted. However, one pilot group would not be pitted against another.

surfnole said:
As an interested observer, it seems that the mainline pilots hold all the power. If they would fight for equality of pay rather than scope clauses, they would be better off in the long run.

These scope clauses are taking away profits which airlines need now.

Equal pay would have the same effect as a scope clause. RJs would become uneconomical (or less attractive) on some routes, thus RJ flying would be restricted. However, one pilot group would not be pitted against another.

ALPA inked a 16 year no strike deal at Eagle. I'd love to see our Eagle bretheren make a respectable wage, but there's nothing APA can do for them with that contract.

Magic:
You talk about all our pilot groups not getting along. Now's when we really NEED to stick together. AMR would like nothing better than to see all us Eagle guys mad at you APA guys and blaming the further Eagle furloughs on you.
I think it's great that we're working on these issues together now. STICK IT UP YOUR ARSE, AMR!

AHHH, that feels better.

I'd give my left nut to be able to go over to SWA with you right now. Good luck.

???

I thought they just recalled 30 or so pilots...is that out of the question now ??
:rolleyes:

Let's review

Let's review and see if we have this right.

American furloughs x number of pilots, some of whom can go to Eagle on a flow back, some cannot because of times.

American says we want to expand Eagle flying and slow the bleeding.

APA says sure if you do what we know you will not.

Ameircan says then we will cut back some more and put even more people on street.

Continental says we will not furlough these guys as that will just screw up the only area we have doing anything positive(COEX). Some pilots saved, benefits offset.

At Delta, they are off on a different tangent. Dissapating traffic so no more Comair strike. Force Majure you know.

At United, they appear to be trying to stop the giant chest wound. Not too worried about their feeders. One might buy them.

And the winner is as usual, no one at all.

AMR is very good at what they do. They couldn't care less who flies the planes; they just want profit. It's a master stroke for AMR to sign a contract and then enlist public opinion to try to get the other party to change it. Right now big planes aren't getting filled so they want more small jets. Two years ago they couldn't order big planes fast enough. It's a cyclical industry but union contracts lack the flexibility management needs to change with the times. To be brutally honest I think it would be better for everyone under the AMR umbrella right now to let Eagle grow a little bit -- but once you've given in a little they'll take a lot and keep on taking. Unfortunately it's just not practical. It a bloody shame management and unions can't work better together. And I'm far from wise enough to propose any solutions.

correct

While you are definitely correct, the fact is that profit is exactly, the last time I looked, the only reason for a profit making company to exist. It is not to employ pilots, fly neat aircraft, have fantastic computer systems, cool dispatch centers, etc.

When labor contracts restrict the ability to adjust to the market that exists for the company to participate in, you are on a very bad course.

There are two things that need to be remembered first.

The customer ultimately must be willing to pay for what you offer.

Profit is the one and only reason that the company is there.

The current situation is a perfect example of why in a shrinking situation, people and companies tend to feed on themselves. This is one of those times when the strong like SWA get stronger.

As I said above, there are no winners here.

Latest resources

Back