• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ALPA vs ALPA merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, not at all. I was pretty clear throughout the SLI process that Southwest management intended to merge the two operations, no matter what. I never believed that separate operations was a real threat. I was speaking in general terms, because sometimes a company is looking for a whipsaw.

The pouch? Guess they don't teach spelling to you trailer park dwellers.

It was a merger, by the way. You'd know that if you weren't illiterate so you could read the SEC documents.

Hey, PCL, I don't think anyone would call me illiterate, or accuse me of not being able to spell, so perhaps you could help me out a little. After reading your comment, I did a little internet research. Clearly, this wouldn't represent exhaustive reaseach, but my quick search of www.sec.gov and Southwest's list of filings and other legal documents on its Investor Relations page tends to contradict your assertion.

On the SEC's website, the only results I could get were too recent, and primarily involved individuals investigated for insider trading with respect to the deal.

However, on Southwest's Investor Relations page, which goes back a lot further, a search using the keywords "AirTran merger" returned only 2 documents, with one of them simply a transcript of Gary Kelly in 2015 simply referring to "progress made merging AirTran's operations into Southwest's." The other, and probably more pertinent document, is a filing dated Feb 2011, which does refer to "merging." It says that a newly-created "subsidiary of Southwest will be merged with and into AirTran, with AirTran surviving as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines." Nowhere does it say that AirTran is to be merged with Southwest Airlines itself.

On the other hand, there were 92 documents returned containing the exact phrase "AirTran acquisition," describing among other things, the intent, the price to be paid, and the actual closing of the acquisition of AirTran, including filings with various governmental agencies.

Maybe you can show something different, but it sure sounds like an "acquisition" instead of a "merger" to me.

Bubba

Last edited:
No, not at all. I was pretty clear throughout the SLI process that Southwest management intended to merge the two operations, no matter what. I never believed that separate operations was a real threat. I was speaking in general terms, because sometimes a company is looking for a whipsaw.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing that up.

Bubba

Hey, PCL, I don't think anyone would call me illiterate, or accuse me of not being able to spell, so perhaps you could help me out a little. After reading your comment, I did a little internet research. Clearly, this wouldn't represent exhaustive reaseach, but my quick search of www.sec.gov and Southwest's list of filings and other legal documents on its Investor Relations page tends to contradict your assertion.

On the SEC's website, the only results I could get were too recent, and primarily involved individuals investigated for insider trading with respect to the deal.

However, on Southwest's Investor Relations page, which goes back a lot further, a search using the keywords "AirTran merger" returned only 2 documents, with one of them simply a transcript of Gary Kelly in 2015 simply referring to "progress made merging AirTran's operations into Southwest's." The other, and probably more pertinent document, is a filing dated Feb 2011, which does refer to "merging." It says that a newly-created "subsidiary of Southwest will be merged with and into AirTran, with AirTran surviving as a wholly-owned subsidiary of Southwest Airlines." Nowhere does it say that AirTran is to be merged with Southwest Airlines itself.

On the other hand, there were 92 documents returned containing the exact phrase "AirTran acquisition," describing among other things, the intent, the price to be paid, and the actual closing of the acquisition of AirTran, including filings with various governmental agencies.

Maybe you can show something different, but it sure sounds like an "acquisition" instead of a "merger" to me.

Bubba

Go back to the original SEC filings when the merger was announced.

Yes Bubba, some of us think your illiterate and cannot spell.

Holy crap that's funny.

If this post had been made by anyone else, I'd assume that the grammatical error bolded above was intentionally done as a joke, but we all know you and your deficiencies, Maru. We all know that you're actually just that stupid.

Bubba

Bubba paid for his job. Bubba rides on the backs of the REAL airline pilots who hired on without plopping down a checkbook.

Bubba paid for his job. Bubba rides on the backs of the REAL airline pilots who hired on without plopping down a checkbook.

That's the trouble with bubba, He just sounds too bought and paid for.

Seriously?--That's the best you two imbeciles can come up with? The same tired and widely-discredited PFT insult? You can't think of any better insult than that?

Well, I suppose it's not too surprising, considering that you two are considered to be two of the stupidest posters on this forum. You don't understand logic, you continually make wild and unsupported claims that are easily refuted, and both of you have the spelling and grammar skills of third-graders. In fact, it's hard to imagine that either of you are, or ever were, actual airline pilots; you're probably just kids on their dads' computers. Either that, or you're high school dropout, pilot-wannabes. And every time you post, you just further that impression.

Bubba

Latest resources

Back