ALPA asleep at the wheel.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

macdaddy

Last month's ALPA magazine has Woerth talking about how great the state of the union is!!

We've got managment whipsawing wholly owned regionals one against the other (i.e. Comair v. ASA v. Skywest), whipsawing mainline against the regionals (i.e. Delta v. ASA). Delta won a big grievance against their pilot group.

When was the last time ALPA won anything??

Management has won the RJ war. I'm old enough to remember Lorenzo and the 'B' scale battle. ALPA rallied all the pilot groups and beat airline management. In a large part this was responsible for the good career that piloting came to be. RJ's are 'C' scales. Low pay and total compensation. You can't raise a family on RJ pay.

The job pool of decent paying jobs is shrinking. Wake up Woerth!!

(BTW - I'm an Eagle furloughee and son of retired 'major' pilot.)

Mac,

Clarify for me the "B" scale battle. My recollection is that Crandall of AA put forth the B scale and won. He sold the pilots off on the notion that B scale would only affect new hires but of course the exisiting pilots would maintain A scale wages.

I don't believe ALPA or pilots won anything here.

Lorenzo started the idea at CAL. Delta tried to institute it also. New hires at the majors would be paid 'B' scale for a period of time - I think it was 5 years or so. The 'B' scale was substantially less 40 to 50% less than 'A' scale pilots were paid.

I was young at the time, but I remember my Father having strike meetings at our house. The Delta pilots were ready to strike over the issue, but Delta backed down. They did not have the "not my problem" attitude that pilots at the majors have now. They were willing to do it for the good of the profession as a whole.

This has been discussed before on this board..but the "B" scale was an invention of Bob Crandall at AA in the early 80's as a way to expand the airline. He sold it to the pilots as a way the airline could hire and expand and pay the new hires something less than what the guys there were making. "Parity" was achieved at something like 7 yrs. Many airlines followed suit..I suppose they felt they had to in order to compete at the time. Eventually, the B scalers grew in numbers and the airlines began to make profits again, and the B scale went away.

While Lorenzo was one of the worst things to ever happen to labor in this industry, he was not the root of ALL the evil. The "B" scale was started by Crandall and AA.

I thought Piedmont actually started the B scale and Crandall followed with guns blazing.

DAL still has a B scale with their DALExpress operation.

They are not asleep! They are in denial! The problem they are having right now is that while their manipulative tacticts are designed to mold the industry into a pattern of their own needs (or greed), the industry is doing something else. I'm not sure if they really know what to do at this point other than stick their heads in the sand and hope it all goes away. That might be a good thing as the change may be over when they finally wake up.

Or, you could do something about it. Join the RJDC, who are fighting for your rights at this very moment. They are a grass roots organization who is suing ALPA for not treating the "regional" pilots the same way they treat their other members. We are not junior members, we are members. They are just line pilots, who are fighting this fight, for YOU! Send in what you can, just a few bucks a month will help, if enough people join in.

Good luck to all. Go to rjdefense.com for more details.

You're starting to sound a bit like those televangelists.....SEND ME YOUR MONEY....I'LL CURE WHAT AILS 'YA. THEN YOU'LL HAVE YOUR OPPORTUNITY TO SEE THE PROMISED LAND.

The only problem is it's those televangelists that benefit. And the only ones that will really benefit if you send your money to the RJDC are the attorneys that are "fighting" the fight.

Really? How do you know? The same lawyer the rjdc is using is the same one who won a case against ALPA for some former Pan Am pilots who now work for Delta. He's the only lawyer who's ever beaten ALPA. And, he allready has them talking to us, which never happened before.

I think when you make accusations without any proof, like comparing a group of pilots fighting for your rights as televangelists, or all lawyers as evil, you ruin your own credibility. Sometimes when you accuse, you say nothing about the person you are accusing, but speak volumes about yourself. Good day sir.

I did not start this thread to hear about RJDefense. It is about ALPA letting down ALLpilots by allowing the loss of good jobs to the regionals by not meeting managment head to head on this issue.

Latest resources

Back