• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

F18-FDX

Purple Rules
Guys & Gals,

I felt compelled to write this post due to the results of last week's elections. For those of you unfamiliar with the Senate's proposed "Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act", S. 1327, you need to be. This bill could have a DEVASTATING affect on our careers, earnings and our families. If you're not familiar with it, this bill is an attempt to circumvent the Railway Labor Act. The legislation would impose “last offer” baseball style binding arbitration on contract negotiations in the airline industry, effectively destroying airline labor’s ability to negotiate a fair contract. It would allow an arbitrator to pick one side's proposal (i.e. management's) over the other's and make it stick. It takes away airline labor's right to vote on our contracts and even denies our right to strike! This is a Republican bill and has been pushed by all major airline CEOs (gee, I wonder why). These guys have massive political lobbying clout and are buying votes. Obviously with the results of last week's elections, it has a REALISTIC CHANCE of passing.

My point, you ask? If you have not already done so, EVERY pilot needs to CONTACT YOUR SENATORS IMMEDIATELY! It is extremely EASY. If you're not an ALPA member, go to www.congress.org, put in your zip code at the top of the page, then select "write all your elected officials with one click." If you are an ALPA member, log in to the website and click on the "Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act" icon in the middle of the page, then click on "ACTION ALERT." Type in your zip code and this allows you to shotgun out e-mails to your senators in one easy step, there's even a prepared e-mail if you elect to use it. Either of these take less than 5 minutes, you don't have to write an essay, just urge your senators to oppose S. 1327, the Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act. Let them know that it is extremely important to you and your family, and that their decision will affect your next vote for, or against them. I have written several times and will continue to do so because my Republican Senators keep writing me back with their party line of how good this bill is.

Hopefully I won't offend anyone since this isn't "interview" or "hiring" related, however I feel very strongly that this issue is TOO IMPORTANT to our futures to not take the few minutes required to let your voice be heard

F18....Thanks for posting that info. Too bad most of the people here really thought that last weeks election was good for them. it shows that they really dont have clue what is going on in our government. They just hear their buddy say how much they like republicans and so they say the same thing.
They got what they asked for....oh well!

Irony

Isn't it ironic that most Airline Pilots identify with the GOP, while working as labor in a union industry which has historically benefitted from the Democratic party.

I totally disagree with what Skypine69 wrote:
They just hear their buddy say how much they like republicans and so they say the same thing.
BS Flag!! Are you saying pilots don't know what they're doing when they vote? I'm quite capable of voting for whomever I choose.

I agree with AirDoc, although I think it's an oxymoron. Pilots want a fiscally conservative government, yet are forced to vote Liberal because airline management takes advantage of a unprotected work force.

It is about time somebody did something about the RLA. The Railway Labour Act has no business having anything to do with aviation. It is antiquated and outdated and really applies to blue collar workers and not professionals.

TurboS7 said:
It is about time somebody did something about the RLA. The Railway Labour Act has no business having anything to do with aviation. It is antiquated and outdated and really applies to blue collar workers and not professionals.

RLA = The right to "Self Help" if negotiations break down.

S.1327 = You gotta take what management [sarcasm mode]generous[/sarcasm mode] offers.

..your call.

Turbo,

I agree that the Railway Labor Act was written for a different era, and that it should be revamped, but the new legislation must be a FAIR and REASONABLE alternative. The Airline Labor Dispute Resolution Act however, is far from it. I could support a re-written bill that conserves the tenets of a fair and just negotiation, the basic democratic right of a labor group to vote on a proposed contract as well as the right to self help as a last resort. This bill however, with its "binding arbitration" language, can force an unfair contract on labor with no right for appeal or further discussion.

By the way, who's to say that blue collar workers are not professionals...?

TurboS7 said:
[It is antiquated and outdated and really applies to blue collar workers and not professionals. [/B]

I think what we do is .005 of a degree off blue collar work. We move people and things for people willing to pay us to do it. Just like a truck driver, bus driver or train conductor. We just have more education and more rules to follow.

I would oppose this bill as well. However, we gain much more with Republicans lowering our taxes and securing our nation which enables us to have these jobs in the first place. This is true even with the threat of getting an anti-labor arbitrator.

Two points.

1. It is one thing to vote for your own pocketbook and have only your best interest in mind (Dem). It is a very different thing to vote for the greater good of the nation, even if it doesn't serve your immediate interests (Rep).

2. TurboS7 is a SCAB. Of course he would like the RLA to go away.

S.

Latest resources

Back