Alaska Hiring

dogg

it does not matter anyway
Total Time
For anyone that is interested: Our bid 2003-01 posted today for Alaska Airlines at 17:00 PDT with the following new hire positions

SEA B737-4/7/900 F/O-----42
SEA MD83..............F/O-----28
LAX B737-4/7/900 F/O-----17
LAX MD83..............F/O-----11
ANC 737-200.........F/O------0

Total new hires by 01/03...98

reepicheep

Total Time
The website still states that they are not accepting apps. Any idea when/if they're going to open the window?

ars225dh

Total Time
4k+
ALK app

I believe towards the end of the summer they will have an online app on the website. Until then, their taking Horizon pilots and others in the system (SB's) that have shown long term interest in ALK well before 9/11.
I don't think their in a real hurry to publish the new app being that they already have hundreds, if not, thousands of well qualified applicants in the system that either have Air Group (Horizon) experience and/or SB letters.
If you not in the system with a SB, stay tuned to the website.

mach none

wishin I was on a boat
Total Time
1+
Do those new hire numbers take into account retirements? Or are they just current vacancies?

dogg

Total Time
It is our understanding that those numbers do not account for any retirements at all. If you want to get hired and don't have a good friend who will refer you( that is what it is called now, not silver bullet) then attend any conference(WIA, AIR inc., OBAP etc..) that Alaska is attending and talk to them. They will keep your information and you can be called for an interview just from that process.

de727ups

Total Time
Huh?
OBAP...

I wonder what would happen if a white guy went to an OBAP convention to talk to the Alaska reps....that's one I'd like to see.....

dogg

Total Time
I wonder what would happen if a white guy went to an OBAP convention to talk to the Alaska reps....that's one I'd like to see.....
Lots have and many have been hired.

captjim

Total Time
Re: OBAP...

de727ups said:
I have a friend that was hired that way!

norskman2

Total Time
Contrary to what one might think, I believe OBAP membership is open to anyone - you don't have to be black, or even a minority.

Their membership guidelines state:
Full membership is extended to any FAA Inspector, pilot, or former pilot with a scheduled, nonscheduled, or charter airline. This membership is conditioned only upon the member ascribing to the goals and objectives of OBAP.

Ted Striker

Piece of the Portfolio
Total Time
Has anyone been able to confirm or deny if Paul Majer is going to be at the AirInc seminar next month in ATL? He is a hiring guy with AkAir.

reepicheep

Total Time
I would like to know this as well - it will have a direct bearing on whether I attend and plunk down $200; although if someone from FedEx or Southwest is there I'll go just for that too.

English

Total Time
Ted,

Paul Majer isn't a hiring guy, he is the Chief Pilot. You might want to know this if you want to work for Alaska.

Just call the recruiting office directly - they'll tell you who will be there. They are all extremely nice.

Ted Striker

Piece of the Portfolio
Total Time
Man, big screw up huh? Sorry, I have been trying to find out who Paul Majer is. I was gathering from some previous threads that he was an HR guy. Glad I asked. I know a couple of people who work there, in a round about way, but they have not called me back to tell me. Thanks for the correction, can't tell you how much I appreciate that. I will give them a call. Thanks again.

3d homer

Total Time
6000+
I'm just curious, are you saying to call the Alaska recruiting office? I am hoping to hear from them soon but I would call them directly if I had their number. Is it posted anywhere or do you know how to contact them?
This is really a great company with a tremendous situation right at this time, I am just glad I know some of the pilots over there.

TIA

BRlinepilot

Total Time
4000+
I wouldn't call the HR people, but try faxing them your resume with a cover letter and rec. letter(s) from your Alaska buds. Their fax number is (206)574-1950; it will go directly to their HR folks and this is the number off of the Alaska website. Yes, it is truly a great company with "happy to be there" kinda folks, if you know what I mean! Good luck and God bless!

Dignan

Working for Mr. Henry
Total Time
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows when this job fair in ATL is and if Alaska is really going to have anyone there? Thanks a lot.

ars225dh

Total Time
4k+
Hey Striker,

Now that your know who Paul Majer is, you might want to research Linious McGee, Raymond Marshall, Charles Willis, Ronald Cosgrave, Bruce Kennedy, and possibly even John F. Kelly and William S. Ayer.

I've heard these names can come up in the interview. They ask these type of questions to see if you've really have enough interest in ALK, and that it's not just another company to apply to.

Another way they do this is by asking some of the locations they fly to in Alaska. An answer of ANC, FAI, JNU, and ah, ah, ah, ....can't think of any more; will express a lack of interest in the foudation of the company. Know where they go! Know that they fly to more Mexican destinations than the one that's most embedded into our brains over the radio during the last few months.

Basically Striker, I'm not trying to discourage you, but you got some serious research to do to catch up to your competition. ALK gives the call about a week or two prior to an interview. It took me about 8-10 months to get a copy of "The Alaska Airline Story" from a small second hand book store in Fairbanks. It's a very informative, but extremly difficult out-of-print book to get a hold of.