Alaska Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hiring

Well, I happened to have just had breakfast this morning with a little birdie that told me it should be "real soon".
This happens to make sense to me since we just announced three flights daily SEA-DEN, and one flight daily SEA-BOS.
Hope this gets you motivated!

AS Hiring

I am wondering (slowdown aside) how likely it is to get hired at Alaska with only time in the BE99 or BE1900? Trying to decide what to do after the 135 Night Piston twin job.... and the regionals seem like an awful slow and underpaid way to get turbine PIC.

Flyboyphil:
Alaska requirements are posted on the UPAS website. Unless your flying has been in Alaska and you know someone at the company, you're gonna need some turbine PIC to get a call.
We'll be hiring sometime shortly, not sure how many though.
We're not short crews yet, but we just extended some MD-80 leases and announced startup for 5 new daily flights. Plus we expect to be at pre 9-11 schedule by the first part of February.
Add all of this to the new routes to Reagan, Dulles, and Cancun and, well, the outlook is good.

Flyin@500agl:
You're absolutely right. You may as well save your money until they announce it. No need to have foresight.

For all:
If you waited until everyone stopped hiring before deciding to put into UPAS for Alaska, you may as well save your money. Alaska only hires those that want to be there for a career and they are pretty good at weeding out the rest. There is already a database of nearly a hundred people with guaranteed interviews and we probably won't hire much more than that. The numbers are purely speculation though.

clarification......

AV8... thanks for the reply.. but you missed the point.. I am trying to figure out if I need to fly part 121 in something bigger than a Beech 99/1900 or if I can fly part 135 and get PIC in those to build the turbine time... I believe the minimums at alaska are only 750 multi.. no turbine requirement.. but that is unrealistic.. so... IS IT REALISTIC TO THINK I WILL GET HIRED WITH 135 CARGO PIC IN A BE99/1900?? or should I go the low paying, slow to upgrade regional route??

Thanks in advance

Alaska hires all types of backgrounds. It really doesn't matter where you get the twin turbine time as long as you get it.
It may be a moot point, though, unless you can get an Alaska pilot to write you a letter, or unless you meet with the Chief Pilot at some kind of seminar such as Air Inc. Alaska is pretty big on hiring people that their pilots know.
Good luck!

cont...

one more thing....go to the turbine a/c that you can get to the left seat the quickest. Just my opinion.

thanks for the info AV8

I just wanted to check on that before I got too wrapped up in pursueing a 121 position. I grew up in Ketchikan and have roundabout connections to several AS pilots.. so should be able to get the common acquaintance to vouch for me and pick up a recommendation that way when the time comes. Thanks again for the advice!

Make sure you are nicotine free for 6 months before you go to an interview with Alaska. They don't really advertise it much, but they do a urine test when you interview and if you test positive for nicotine, you're done. When they call you to offer you the interview, they'll ask you if you've been nicotine free for 6 months. If you've had a smoke or a dip lately, and answer honestly, then you're done right there. They won't call you back. So if you are a smoker/dipper and want to fly for Alaska, quit now.

Latest resources

Back