• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AirTran pilots will own the SW upgrades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Holding up stock options as justification for horrendous pay is just further proof that the SWA guys of old didn't give a flying you-know-what about the profession. Stock options in lieu of pay do nothing to raise the bar. In fact, they do the exact opposite.

No, I only need to go back about 10 years. Keep re-writing that history, though. :rolleyes:

10 years? I think the big pay raise came in 2001 timeframe. Was Delta/CAL/UAL higher than SW at the time? Maybe...but then DL and NW went into bankruptcy in 2005 as SW pay continued to rise.

To go back even further, a SW captain was making around 125/hr in 1994. Equating to around 200/hr in todays dollars.

As far as Stock Options go, Herb wanted a pay freeze in lieu of rate increases and laid out his reasoning. The pilots believed in the plan, crushed the competition and in the end were rewarded handsomely (retiring multi-millionaires...along with the FA's) And yes, it was about Us vs. Them. Is that a problem?

Holding up stock options as justification for horrendous pay is just further proof that the SWA guys of old didn't give a flying you-know-what about the profession. Stock options in lieu of pay do nothing to raise the bar. In fact, they do the exact opposite.

And yet you had NO justification of it a AirTran. Why is that?

10 years? I think the big pay raise came in 2001 timeframe.

Wrong. A contract was ratified that included down-line pay raises, but those big raises didn't come until several years later. SWA never hit pre-9/11 legacy rates (still hasn't, in fact), and only bypassed the legacies finally when they went into bankruptcy and took massive concessions.

Allow me to repeat that: today, 15 years later, SWA has STILL not hit pre-9/11 legacy narrowbody rates. You have absolutely nothing to be proud of. Period.

To go back even further, a SW captain was making around 125/hr in 1994. Equating to around 200/hr in todays dollars.

I'm glad you bring that up, since a legacy captain at the time was making about $300/hr in today's dollars. SWA was always dragging down the industry.

And yes, it was about Us vs. Them. Is that a problem?

Well, yes, in fact. Us vs. them is fine for the businessmen. It's not fine when labor negotiations involve pattern bargaining. Allowing your management to succeed on your back is never okay.

And yet you had NO justification of it a AirTran. Why is that?

Because I don't attempt to justify it. It wasn't right for AirTran, either. That's why so many of us fought to fix it.

Well, yes, in fact. Us vs. them is fine for the businessmen. It's not fine when labor negotiations involve pattern bargaining. Allowing your management to succeed on your back is never okay.

And Herb followed through on his plan, you get that right? Complete success. They both won....wildly. The company and the pilots.

Last edited:
And Herb followed through on his plan, you get that right? Complete success. They both one....wildly. The company and the pilots.

I keep forgetting that I'm talking to the biggest dolt to ever wear a pilot uniform. One who can't even remember the difference between "one" and "won." You waste my time, mental midget. :rolleyes:

I changed the typo for you Fat Boy, thanks for the help. If you need help with those College classes just let me know. I know plenty of AirTran guys that can't wait to see you hit the road.....and that's one thing I can definitely agree with them on! :laugh:

Latest resources

Back