AirTran Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fly26

The board has been a little quiet lately with regards to AirTran.

Anybody have the latest scoop on AirTran? I know they are going to hire a lot in 2002 --- are they currently scheduleing interviews? How far in advance of the interview date do they call? Most importantly, who is getting called?

I'm at 3100 TT, 1400 Turb PIC, and a letter of recommendation from an AirTran pilot and hoping to hear something soon.

Over 5000 resumes on file in Orlando. Recommendations and 121 PIC time seem to help alot.

Rumors:
*30 B717's in '02
*40-50 newhires a month
*New aircraft (737-800's?)
*Miami Air to provide sub-service
*Increased service out of BWI
*New crew base in BWI

Management seems to be rushing to fill the void left by the majors cutting back service.

Newhire pay as of April '02 $37.50/hr
2nd year FO pay in the low $50's/hr
3rd year FO pay in the low $60's/hr
3rd year capt pay $103 and change/hr
Top pay currently $150something/hr

Yearly stock options, trip/duty rigs, company paid B-fund retirement, optional pilot financed 401(k), pilot staffing formula that pays pilots a premium if the specific aircraft is not staffed properly, internet access to crew scheduling, sick pay unlike I've ever heard of.

For training outside of domicile (newhire and upgrade DC9 in MIA) the company provides a 2BR condo for you and your sim buddy a rental car and $2625/month (37.50@70 hrs/month). Training in domicile, accomidations are on you.

The company has been having a hard time living up to it's end of the new contract. Most are minor and the union has been doing a fine job of settling the grievences in the pilots favor.

This seems like a good time to come abord if you're intrested. Upgrade time is running 18-22 months (with one guy doing it in 15 months recently) and alot of scabs reaching 60 and new union leadership (www.npa-atl.org)

Happy Flying.

Curious on how long it is taking on average after submitting a resume for people to get called for an interview, after that how long after the call before you actually interview. Any idea what is competitive?

I just recently finished training. What I have been hearing is that the calls come fairly quick, but I guess it probably depends when they get your stuff versus when they need to start calling to fill interview groups- if your stuff gets in on the day after the interview group is filled, it may not be for another month or two. I have heard of guys waiting months, weeks, and, sometimes only days. I would not be bashful about sending your stuff in- I would do it every couple of weeks . . . .

With your DO328 type, I assume you have 121 PIC time and glass time, which is what they are looking for. The way to get on the top of the stack is to have your stuff sent in or walked in by an AirTran guy, especially one that is willing to call and bug Greta and Jill.

I have heard that we are taking at least 24 B717 this year, and that they intend to hire 300 pilots this year- I think we have about 700 now, so that is huge growth.

Training took about 9 weeks for the B717. Pay started day one. If you get sent out of ATL for sim training, they pay for hotel, rental car, and per diem in addition to your pay.

Good Luck

How can a company like Airtran afford to pay it's pilots as good or better wages than SWA. SWA has been around for 30 years while AirTran has been around for like 5. I know SWA pilots get stock options but they aren't real lucrative for the junior pilots. I guess I just don't get it.:rolleyes:

Jet Blue

Jet Blue pays better than AirTran and they have been around a lot less time. Why would anyone not understand it's not based upon the airline's time in business. If that were the case, COEX should be paying about the same as CAL!:D

If I recall correctly Airtran has been around for over 13 years, not sure about SWA but I don't believe they have been around for 30 years, who knows I could be wrong. Take note of last weeks stock Airtran was +.33 and SWA was -1.31. I would keep my eye on Airtran I think they will surprise you. SWA is an awesome company but I think between Airtran and Jetblue they have some new compitition they can't ignore.

SWA longevity

FYI SWA started in 1971, and has been profitable every year since 1973 :)

Just to let you know what I think about our company. I have a conditional job offer from SWA (pending type) that I decided to turn down. SWA is a great company but so is AirTran and with the upcoming upgrade and payscale, it makes a better choice for me. Good luck guys!!!:cool:

You're not the only guy who has struggled with this decision- the guy who helped me get on w/FL got an offer from SWA. He was an F/O on the DC9 here, and probably a class or two from upgrade.

He ran all the numbers, including a quick upgrade at FL, stock options and B-fund, and the slower upgrade, higher Capt. pay, better job security and stock options at SWA. He decided to take it, but he said it was very, very close, and that money-wise, he'd probably have made more at FL.

I'd say that once you make Capt. here, you're probably better off staying, depending on what happens at the majors, but if I could predict the future, I probably woluldn't need to fly for a living.

Latest resources

Back