• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Airport security and you

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In addition, there is the "profiling" system they use to pull people over for the "extra special" search. There are number of things that set off the bells, and that includes buying a ticket at the last minute. Gee, guess what happens when scheduling calls and deadheads you somewhere in a hurry - a last minute ticket. So there you are, rushing to get to another base - in uniform sometimes - and Whoop Whoop, your bag gets the bomb sniffer, and you get nearly strip searched at the gate. (That promotes a lot of confidence in the passengers, when a uniformed pilot is getting completely searched at the gate).

Someone needs to really pull their heads out of the dark holes.

HAL

Trust the government

I guess that we just have to consider that the FBI has an indication that one of "us" might be suspect for future terroristic endevors. Guess we are all in this together. Those e-tickets do ring the bells....

DFW

My favorite indication of the sheer stupidity of it all was one day when commuting thru the B concourse, and some of the security goons was WANDING one of the Army dudes.

His arms are all stretched out, HES HOLDING HIS M16 IN HIS HAND, but he was nail clipper free!

I had to stop, and stare, along with an AA captain. The look in the AA guys eyes said it all; the complete, sheer, and utter stupidity. I didnt stick around to see if they wanted to xray his steel-toed jump boots.

YGBSM!!!!

HAL said:
[qB]In addition, there is the "profiling" system they use to pull people over for the "extra special" search. There are number of things that set off the bells, and that includes buying a ticket at the last minute. Gee, guess what happens when scheduling calls and deadheads you somewhere in a hurry - a last minute ticket. So there you are, rushing to get to another base - in uniform sometimes - and Whoop Whoop, your bag gets the bomb sniffer, and you get nearly strip searched at the gate. (That promotes a lot of confidence in the passengers, when a uniformed pilot is getting completely searched at the gate).

Someone needs to really pull their heads out of the dark holes.
HAL [/qB]

That's ridiculous.
Did you know that the FAA specifically exempted uniformed crewmwmbers on duty from gate searches? The gate agents won't tell you that. They like the power trip.
Don't let them harass you in uniform in front of the pax. ALPA is advising us to demand a private screening area out of plain sight from the passengers. How can we hold authority over these people after having them see our dirty underwear?
If they won't screen you privately, especially those not-so-random gate checks, then refuse. Call your MEC and advise them of the situation. Don't let your own company treat you this way.

What are you smoking

Your little MEC is useless and so is ALPA when it comes to that little security person at the gate.I sent a complaint to our union and they just sent me back a bid smiley face. My flight was delayed 15 minutes out of BWI going to KEF the other day as the captain(yours truly)was held up at the gate while I was being strip searched. They sent my flight bag through three times, all my flight attendants and my female first officer went through like a breeze. Even the guardsman with an M-16 standing next to me was trying to keep from laughing. There I am with no belt, no shoes and a flight bag unpacked, all my charts, ETOPS charts and everything else spread all over the place. I did get a great look at ground zero on the flight up, though I might get a sexual harasement charge from my FO as I tried to see it through her window. Great fun, but this month I bid all turns. Now they are telling us that we can't taxi our aircraft to the gates, we have to go through all this. I guess the 10 year background checks etc., etc. just don't cut it. I hate to admit it but I think the FBI is on the right track-he who is guilty just step forward. I am glad I only have 14 more years to go, I never thought I would say that.:) :D :D

It was signed into law, We are getting guns, if your airline approves it. I can't wait to get gate searched, and tell them to wait while I set my 9mm in the table. OK now you can pat me down. I am so sick of these highschool dropouts that do the searchs.

Eye on the Ball people!

Just as you have been "violated", so have I through the security gates. There is one thing to remember folks, those people are trying their hardest to keep the skies safe, they just don't know any other way to do it! They are trying to do their job the best they can and finally taking it serious! I think we need to do the same.

Is it really THAT bad?!?

If you want to complain so much about such a petty thing, (being 10 minutes late, being checked personally with the wand, having your bags checked, etc...) why don't you change your profession to something like .... say .....

A NY Firefighter, or a NY police officer!

We need to be willing to do our part while things get sorted out here. Granted the FAA was behind the times and security checks were anything but secure, but they're trying. We need to be supportive!

Let's keep our eye on the big picture here...... Thousands of people died, can't we respect the memory of those that have given their lives by doing what we can to help prevent this from happening ever again?

Someone mentioned that checking a uniformed flight officer was seemingly ludicrous.... I STRONGLY disagree!! I think NOT checking uniformed flight personnel would be ludicrous! Don't you think that those that intend to do harm would figure that out and try to get through security in that fashion?!?

I don't like getting 'strip searched' any more than the next guy, but I do think it's part of my civil duty.

Sorry if this seems somewhat confrontational, I just get tired of people forgetting the reason for all of this and getting so upset over such petty things when you consider the big picture.

God Bless and Safe Skies!

:)

I'd like to start carrying a camera. The photo of the army dude being wanded with his M-16 would make front page news.

Latest resources

Back