Airnet Info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
UPSer said:
What's Vossman's current position and how is he regarded by the pilot group?
Don't know him personally. I think he's an IP/CA for the Lears.

How is it flying for Buster Brown? I worked for them more than a decade ago, not as a pilot obviously.

Pilots leave because the opportunity comes up. EVERYONE knows that airnet is a stepping stone to other places...not a permanent job (except for a select few who really like this kind of work). Those that left came here knowing that as soon as they could make a jump other places they would, and they did. It has been that way since i started here, and the only time the exodus from our grounds has slowed was when the hiring boom stopped after 9/11, so this is no new news to any of us. Sure you will have some of the pilots who just do not like a certain job leave for reasons unknown to me. As far as a senior Jet PIC leaving...I believe i know who you are talking about...his reasoning reaches farther down into the company than you know. I knew him since day one here, more than 4+ years ago, and i have seen what has happened to him and it has to do with many things that i cannot discuss on a public board. His case was isolated to say the least.

As far as surrounding yourself with good people...we have nothig but good people with the exception of a few. My years here have proven that to me.

I don't think i said anything about "teaching" in my post, but maybe you were refering to the other posters.

I am sure Biggerstaff has seen worse in the past. The instructors are very good at what they do...well most of them at least. I am sure a potential employee would be exstatic to know that they were coming to work for a company that knows how to have fun instaed of knowing they will come to a place as watertight as a frogs a$$. Customers never come without warning, and if you think airnet is the only place that scurries around to "clean up the facilities" before a customer shows on the grounds then you are wrong. They know when they are coming, and they pretty up the entire place for the occasion.

As far as Quinn's personality...he has one, you just need to be able to see it. Recruits without Washka's personality??? I would say 80% come here for the multi time and Jet time, it has nothing to do with his personality. That kind of experience is what everyone needs, so we are willing to do it to move on to better places. I have always received a phone call the next day from Quinn if i leave him a message...and my time off has never been a problem, he even gave me my "personnal days" when we didn't have enough pilots to cover it. For him to go out on a limb and put the company out like that is much more than you can ask for. I think his personality allows him to read people well, and maybe he only helps those he sees will help him back...i don't know, but he is a good person, and he does a pretty good job.

Vossman is the Lear guru here...he is very highly regarded by the pilot group. He is a little on the quiet side, but he is a great guy who will bend over backwards for you. If i remember correctly he is the head of the learjet training... I believe that is his spot at least. Great pilot, and if you get him for lear training you will come out a better pilot by far.

A while back there was talk about Airnet bringing in a union to represent the pilots. Did anything ever come of that?

Agree to disagree

Starchkr,

I'll meet you half way. I don't believe the whole reason for the exodus last year was regional hiring. I know of many who left because they didn't like the way there were treated. I'm not talking about not being able to hack it, I'm talking about disprespect. Personally, I got a bad impression before I even started and, in retrospect, should not have taken the job in the first place. Washka called me the day before my interview wondering where I was. I got the date from him and confirmed the flight that he scheduled with dispatch...for the next day. When I made it to CMH for the interview I showed up an hour early for the 9am interview, per the paperwork they sent. I sat for SIX HOURS in the lobby listening to the receptionist....."Airnet Systems.....sure....hold on." while they tried to locate Washka. SIX HOURS!! Apparently every second of MY TIME does NOT count! Not a great first impression. IPTP was absolutely insulting. The instructors I had treated us like dirt, like we knew nothing about aviation and should be grateful to be there. To add insult to injury the instructors did not pay attention to detail and we didn't get our pittance training pay, despite asking several people several times, for a MONTH!! Again, not a good impression and, I will admit, my experience tainted my views from there on. It simply doesn't have to be that way. Treating people with basic respect can yield phenomonal results.

As far as Airnet being a stepping stone, I have mixed views. Washka told us in the interview that Airnet sees itself as a stepping stone. If that's what Airnet sees, that's what Airnet gets. Granted not everyone likes the night schedule and most have higher aspirations. A regular four day schedule and the opportunity for free training to fly an LJ would seem to be a strong deterrent to leaving. The only way they could reduce the exodus was to bring back the training contract. I know of a company that flies 310s and TBMs five nights per week, pays their pilots VERY well, and has a VERY small turnover. I imagine their training costs are VERY low as well. Most people have never heard of them. What is the difference? The difference is PEOPLE.

I've spoken with many pilots too see if it was "just me." I'm not the only one. I will also say that I've met some exceptional people at Airnet. You might be one of them for all I know. I've heard some VERY senior pilots say that things are not good these days. How many floaters would have stayed after floater pay was taken away if there were a lot of other options? Not a very good way to take care of your employees. Every floater I've seen recently is right out of training. New floaters are also equipment locked despite the policy (restated in a recent flight ops memo) saying that as long as no further training is required they can bid on other positions. If they are qualified in a Caravan, they are stuck in their current position...even if they haven't flown a Caravan in MONTHS since their training and aren't likely to. What a waste of training dollars! Policy seems to be made up to fit the situation du jour. Some we stick to, some we don't. I have a basic philosophy about management. Take care of your people and they will take care of you. The reverse is also true.

I wish you personally much success!

im going to be attending training on oct 11th and im a bit curious as to how or what im going to be flying. i have 1050 hours. does anyone know what will happen after my training? ive been told that once training is done ill be stuck in columbus until i get 1200 hours. im tryin to find out how many hours ill be flying and where ill get my time from. i kno ill be a floater, but how much time do floaters usually get? please help.

Nick,

Nobody can answer your stupid questions except the chief pilot at Airnet. You WILL not know where your base is until training is over! Please stop flooding the board with the same questions over and over. Actually, I am surprised an idiot like yourself would even be hired at a freight company.

Peace.

0.25 Mach CFI said:
Nick,

Nobody can answer your stupid questions except the chief pilot at Airnet. You WILL not know where your base is until training is over! Please stop flooding the board with the same questions over and over. Actually, I am surprised an idiot like yourself would even be hired at a freight company.

Peace.
Thats funny

Nick,

Seriously you need to focus on training. The Flight Dept. hates it when you are all worried about where your going and what you will be doing. You will not make it through if you keep harping on where you will be.

thanx for being helpful!! yea right. im not worried about where ill be based! just curious as to how the sic program works and where they usually base people. i just had QUESTIONS, NOT WORRIES in my posts! whats really funny is all u people have done was made crappy comments and buckeye is the only one who answered all of my questions! thanx

"Actually, I am surprised an idiot like yourself would even be hired at a freight company." ---because i have good questions makes me an idiot? man i never have to sit next to you in an airplane! airnet must have liked something about me if i got a job!

nick,

just so you know, you DO NOT have a job. you have a training spot in a class at airnet. that means nothing yet! if you continue to ask airnet and your instructors the same questions, i guarentee you WILL NOT EVER have a job.

by the way, you very well could be next to me in an airplane as SIC. it appears you need PIC time to be 135 qualified and I assure you that you WILL NOT touch my airplane, so good luck with that well-needed PIC.

i have also read one of your previous posts regarding "135 minimums being set-in-stone." if you reference FAR 135, you will find that 135 mins are indeed law. that is why they are in the front of the bible and not a suggestion in the AIM. the idea that you are short hours, yet you feel you are employed as a PIC is total nonsense. the first day of training you will list your hours to show that you are not 135 PIC qualified. in fact, that alone will put you at the bottom of the list for your airnet class, giving you the last choice on a base.

on a nicer note, let me explain the SIC program. Most likely, you will be in CMH. You are not a "floater" until you are employed as a PIC. In the meantime, you will fly runs in any plane while you log time until you are PIC qualified. also, do not come to CMH with the word "floater" in your vocabulary. "floaters" are now reserve pilots as with any other airline.

peace.

the meantime, you will fly runs in any plane while you log time until you are PIC qualified.
actually, i think he will only be allowed to fly/log time in the planes in which he was trained and passed a subsequent checkride for.

Latest resources

Back