Airline Pilot Pay and Attitudes...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
To FlyDeltasJets,

I also agree that mechanics should be paid better. And since we both agree that they are as skilled and valuable to a company as pilots should we then also agree that they should also make the big bucks. Now, if a company started to pay all those who deserve the high pay do you think that company will remain financially solvent. It seems to me that there is only so much money in the pot (especially in the airline business since they all seem to be operating on tight budgets). So if one group gets the lions share then there won't be enough to pay those well deserving mechanics. In my book pilots and mechanics are equal. What is your solution?

I am amazed that there are those who would condemn me for believing that it's right to be a little more equitable within the aviation industry regarding salary. Not once have I said major pilots need to come down to the level of the 20 year old FO at the regional.

To the person who asked what's wrong with an SUV: I use the SUV as a symbol of social irresponsibility. We all know that most owners just use them to shuttle the kids to school or pick up groceries and drive to work. Even though they get terrible gas mileage, pollute our atmosphere, and increase our dependency on the middle-east we still have those that will drive them because they feel it's their right to do whatever they please. So ask that question again "what is wrong with owning as many cars, houses, etc, etc, as possible?" Well, the next time you drive through LA in the summer and see the nasty pollution ask that question again. Or the next time you drive through the Sierra Nevedas and see miles of clear cuts ask yourself where the wood is going. Or how about the next time OPEC raises gas prices, are you going to be the first to complain. We don't live in a vacuum and how we live our lives and the resources that we consume have a broader effect then our eye-sight will let us to believe. Again, I'm not saying we all need to live just above the poverty line and be grateful. Just that I think it's reasonable to believe "equity and concern" over our struggling colleagues (and our countries resources) should come first over a selfish life style. And if you still can't put 1 and 1 together, well then your childrens generation will suffer the consequence and you can go to your grave satisfied "ya did dern good fer yer country, an ya wer a good American."

I can hear the rebuttals now......."yer a traitor, yer Unamerican. Get the rope boyz...."

As for some of you who think I haven't worked hard in aviation, you obviously don't understand what the military does. I don't have a need to justify to anyone how hard I have worked, but just to inform some of those that have an attitude towards military pilots.......let's see, spent time flying missions in Bosinia, Kosovo, Yugoslavia, South America, Africa and many other places living in nasty muddy dumps, eating nothing but mre's, being shot at etc, etc, etc. And I chose to to it (and would do it again). My father was career military and so I went in with eyes wide open......and never once regretted doing it.

AJ

How did we get into a tree hugging conversation on a aviation board?
Where did the trees go? Well if you did the research, most experts calculate that we have more trees in N. America now than when Columbus arrived. We also have many, many more deer and other animals than in the past. I'm all for conserving things but this knee jerk reaction that some of these envirowackos gets a little ridiculous.

I'd have to agree. That 300K sounds like al ote now, but wait till Uncle Sam gets his cut. You quickely find out whi is paying the 2 Billion for those fancy B-2'S :)

Anthony,

Dont you think that the person who is responsible for the lives of hundreds of people and is entrusted with hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment and liability should be compensated, say, ........
about half what your F'n dentist makes????

The army rotted your brain, 80K a year goes real far when you live off the taxpayers, but you are joining the real world now, no more living in tents.

"I could live like a KING on $80,000 a year"

Im sure you can.......................................

If you can live like a king on 80K in CA tell me where it is so I can move there right now. I make about 86K have a wife and 7 kids and we are barely making it in S. Florida......

hey MS Fan

Just to enlighten you a little on your medicine to pilots comparison.

You are absolutely right that a surgeon can only kill one at a time while you can kill hundreds; however with a fair (notice I didn't say great or even good) lawyer and the crap for brains juries we have currently, that one death can spell more money than a planeful of people. Surgeons too are only mistake away from losing their license.

Last time I looked I wasn't having to pay any pilot error insurance other than my ALPA dues which don't break my bank. OB/GYN docs pay in excess of $100K for malpractice insurance EACH YEAR.

Each profession has it's rewards and pitfalls, but save the comparisons, you sound like Tom Daschle and his class warfare is good agenda.

GulfStream 200,

Do you think the mechanic who fixed the engine on your plane is any less responsible for the lives on your plane. Where is his 200K.

You wrote: "The army rotted your brain, 80K a year goes real far when you live off the taxpayers, but you are joining the real world now, no more living in tents."

Wow! With comments like that I feel like I'm conversing with kindergarden children. Why don't you tell me what the REAL World is like. Buddy, I feel sorry for anyone who works with you.

Turbo S7,

It's not where you live, it's how you live. I don't have 7 kids so I can't help you there.

Likeitis,

Better put some sunscreen on your neck, it's gettin a little RED!!

It's funny (and sad) how so many people seem to think they can solve all the Worlds problems by blaming others.

AJ

You are definitely from another planet. First let me say this. 1.) I agree that regional airline pilot deserve more money, I can say this because I was one for 5 yrs. 2.) A major airline pilot deserves at least 200-300k a year. Just because you don't have what it takes to get the job, don't bash others because they do.

When one of us flies a trip for our company it generates a great amount of capital. We deserve to be well compensated for it. We as a profession are one of the few that have to pass a physical every 6 months, and pass a requalificaiton checkride every 6 months. We could lose it all at any time therefore we get what we deserve. I believe we should have more.

Nightrider

And that is why your companies are going broke, because they have too many selfish pilots working for them. Someone recently sent me a private post that was fitting, "Many Airline pilots can't see the forest through the trees."

Obviously you haven't heard of SouthWest Airlines. I believe their pilots are relatively content.

UAL pilots seem to want to "cut off their legs to save their finger."

Why do you say I am from another planet? Don't they have unselfish pilots here on Earth.

AJ

I can tell you for a fact my companies health, is excellent. We made almost a billion profit this quarter.

Thanks for your concern.

Latest resources

Back