Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
edited

Last edited:
yes, it is. I am not aware of a professional that does not want to do better though. I think $75k and $150k is a good STARTING point.

I think that $250k a year would be just fine for all doctors to make, don't you?! They on't deserve to make all that money. Wait, now I sound like a socialemocrat.

Politicians decrying high pay?

No, actually. You sound like some Republicans. Like McCain ...

"Another prominent Republican senator, John McCain, blasted pilots at United Airlines for engaging in a no-overtime campaign to "satisfy their personal
greed" that was blamed for increased delays and cancellations during contract talks last summer."

Or Lott ...
"Senate Majority Leader Trent Lott this month urged the Department of Transportation to examine pilot wages and worker-related delays. "What do
they make? Look at those salaries," Lott told the DOT Inspector General."

http://archives.californiaaviation.org/pilot/msg00010.html

Last edited:
Sometimes jobs have other perks that make up for the pay, which isn't all that bad in my opinion. 150k for a Capt and 75K for an FO is good money IMO.

Spoken like someone who has never actually made that salary. Try raising a family & paying a mortgage in most domicile cities on that. It can obviously be done, but you won't feel 'rich' either.

I do not understand all this bashing of our chosen profession. For those who feel they can have a better life outside the cockpit, the world is waiting for you. Sully makes what 150K/yr?, works 4 days a week, lives in a 500K house. For most of america this is a dream job. True it is not what is used to be(what is?), but it is still a great way to make a living. Maybe with Sully's input the college degree will continue to be less important is getting a flying job. BTW Do pilots still fly airplanes or do they program them?

Any executive position. While middle class wages have significantly decreased, executive wages have significanlty increased. So much for a rising tide lifts ALL boats. A rising tide olny lifts REALLY BIG boats.

you guys talk a big game about the mpl now, but management will offer you an extra $5 an hour, and you'll sell the profession out permanently just like you did with scope.

This one deserves another bump.

The folks that have been selling scope away for years will fall over each other to get at the prospect of more pay in exchange for approval of the mpl.

This one deserves another bump.

The folks that have been selling scope away for years will fall over each other to get at the prospect of more pay in exchange for approval of the mpl.

I'm afraid 65 made this a foregone conclusion in that it enables a particuliarly selfish generation to remain in a position of influence.

Who else but a goofball pilot would say "we shouldn't be paid that much" or X amount is too much? Absolutely ridiculous. I have friends in almost every other profession and have NEVER heard one suggest they're overpaid, or would not seek a raise because "that's just too much money." Only a goofball pilot could say that. Moreover, pilots ARE underpaid when you consider comparable training, education, barriers to entry, etc. Yes, I love flying, but refuse to do it for next to nothing. Two separate goals and believe you need to be willing to walk because you love flying and not do it for free.

Most of the individuals I fly with have advance degrees. I myself decided that to make 150-180K a year as an FO in 10 years, and 280-350K as a CA at the end game, was worth going after my dream, instead of being a Doctor. I gave up med school for this.
My point is that at many majors that is the norm. The military pilot went to the airlines instead of consulting et al, why because there was enough money in it, that he choose to make a little less and enjoy what he is doing. The civilian got in to it because it paid fairly well, and it was what he loved to do. (I knew I would make less than a medical profession, but decided that 200K+ was good enough for me. I was going to be a radiologist. They start at 600K a year and have over 15 weeks of vacation Most of them are making over 1 million their first year out of residency. Point is that I knew there would bea difference)
Now take these pay cuts and other cuts we have all faced. I cannot leave to go be a Dr. I would be in my late 40's before I would be out of residency. I have the proverbial handcuffs on. I am not the issues, and management knows that. What the issue is, is what is around the corner.
People going the civilian track are finding it very hard to get financing for a Riddle degree. Why? Well, the banks know we are paid horribly and we are a bad risk. Most regional FO's just default on their 200K loans. Military guys have a longer commitment. If you are in for 10 might as well go for 20 and get a retirement. We all know that there is not one in the airlines.
Furthermore, anyone with an iota of intelligence realizes that there are other jobs out there that will pay much more for a lot less effort, pain and suffering. In effect I will just buy my airplane and fly it on the side. I know if I had a crystal ball and could see this I would of.
Qualified people, the ones that you parents want flying them will not become pilots in the future, that will effect the safety of our profession.
management assigns a cost to safety, they have just been able to stick it to this generation because they know we cannot leave.

Latest resources

Back