• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aircraft mechanic training

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I got more offers of employment than I knew what to do with.
Good for you!!, just shows you don't need a college degree to get a good job offer. You have pointed out what I have been preaching for years, post secondary education that develops a skill that is demand in the market is the key to getting a job. That is not necessarily a college degree. Which is reenforced by the 47% unemployment and under employment now being experienced by recent college graduate.

BTW You will notice I am very pro-military. It was the most fantastic adventure of my life and think anyone who misses this is missing something special.

Last edited:
My opinion on the Civ vs Mil option, it depends on what you want to do. I lost some sleep over the decision back in 2004. I picked civilian. My experience at 121 airlines is this... you are a jack of all trades but a master of none. If the plane is broken it is your problem, no matter what it is. From the people I know that are / have been in the air force you are very specialized, you do one thing and do it well. Personally I enjoy going to work every day having no idea what I will be doing. Also depending on what city you are willing to work in it is not only a $15/hr job.

My opinion on the Civ vs Mil option, it depends on what you want to do. I lost some sleep over the decision back in 2004. I picked civilian. My experience at 121 airlines is this... you are a jack of all trades but a master of none. If the plane is broken it is your problem, no matter what it is. From the people I know that are / have been in the air force you are very specialized, you do one thing and do it well. Personally I enjoy going to work every day having no idea what I will be doing. Also depending on what city you are willing to work in it is not only a $15/hr
job.

Some training exercises may no longer be available such as dope and fabric training or working on radial engines in civilian instruction. You may be tested on these areas if the instruction is still on the books, and was a gotcha for military applicants. The AMT programs opens up better paying jobs in other fields besides working as a aviation maintenance technician in which I would urge young people to look into the training. you will not be sorry.

Yes but in the military you will get credit for 1000's of hours of hands mechanic work and there is fast rack for these milarty mechs to get their A&P. Not mention $52K to pay for any training you want.

Not quite that simple. Do lots of research, if yo get the A&P, get a job at a Mercedes dealership, the high end shops love A&Ps and you will make 6 figures in the right area, buy a plane and play. Go to work in the aviation industry, and you will end up hating airlines, pilots, and airplanes.
But if you join the military, you might get lucky and get to go to foreign lands and wonder if your truck full of predator parts is gonna get blown up.
It will be 2176 hours of classroom and lab study, a full time 40 hour a week course for 12 months minimum.

Not quite that simple. Do lots of research, if yo get the A&P, get a job at a Mercedes dealership, the high end shops love A&Ps and you will make 6 figures in the right area, buy a plane and play. Go to work in the aviation industry, and you will end up hating airlines, pilots, and airplanes.
But if you join the military, you might get lucky and get to go to foreign lands and wonder if your truck full of predator parts is gonna get blown up.
It will be 2176 hours of classroom and lab study, a full time 40 hour a week course for 12 months minimum.
“What I wish every American understood is, despite its attendant risks and sacrifices, military service even for one or two enlistments or for a career is one of the most rewarding experiences you could ever have. Make no mistake, those risks and sacrifices are great and daunting even in peacetime. But few other occupations so completely invest your life with importance, even historic importance, and so well develop your character along lines of excellence. It is an advantage and a satisfaction you will always have that others will never know" from John McCain to a Pensacola a graduating class

“What I wish every American understood is, despite its attendant risks and sacrifices, military service even for one or two enlistments or for a career is one of the most rewarding experiences you could ever have. Make no mistake, those risks and sacrifices are great and daunting even in peacetime. But few other occupations so completely invest your life with importance, even historic importance, and so well develop your character along lines of excellence. It is an advantage and a satisfaction you will always have that others will never know" from John McCain to a Pensacola a graduating class
I am sure the troop I transported from SAT to PDX via LAX might not have the same opinion as you, as a 23 year old soldier who was hit by an IED and lost both legs at the hip, his right arm at the shoulder, and left arm mid forearm his young wife will have her young hands full. I sat with him while she went into the terminal to get some things.
I have 3 tours in a very hostile environment, and almost lost my life, fulfilling, nope, scary yes, and 25 years later I still have the memories, most of which I wish I didn't. Once you have been in combat you wouldn't wish that for anyone else.
Sorry, you are more wrong than you will ever know. By sheer numbers alone the enlisted are the grist and gristle that the combat monster eats with abandon.
But thanks for your quote REMF pogue.

Last edited:
I am sure the troop I transported from SAT to PDX via LAX might not have the same opinion as you, as a 23 year old soldier who was hit by an IED and lost both legs at the hip, his right arm at the shoulder, and left arm mid forearm his young wife will have her young hands full. I sat with him while she went into the terminal to get some things.
I have 3 tours in a very hostile environment, and almost lost my life, fulfilling, nope, scary yes, and 25 years later I still have the memories, most of which I wish I didn't. Once you have been in combat you wouldn't wish that for anyone else.
Sorry, you are more wrong than you will ever know. By sheer numbers alone the enlisted are the grist and gristle that the combat monster eats with abandon.
But thanks for your quote REMF pogue.
Thank you for your service under difficult conditions Those were not my words, but some other guy who served. BTW What combat took place in 1988 25 years ago?

25 was an approximation, details are not for public consumption.

Please dont try to scare away potential new tech's, I have done this for quite awhile and i dont hate airlines, pilots or airplanes. Thats what pays my bills. I feel it is a good career, yes I work long obscure hours but not too many jobs allow open overtime where I can really make some bank. Its also rewarding, I get to see a direct result of my work.... Plane is broken, pax are waiting, I come along trouble shoot and change a part, get to watch the plane fly away. To me thats kinda fun.

There is also Redstone College in Broomfield, CO ( greater Denver area). There are many choices for aircraft maintenance careers. You have to find your niche. Regionals are a good place to start and get experience. The negative is the constant whipsawing of pilot contracts and bankruptcies.

Latest resources

Back