• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

air wisconsin

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I love that a guy who calls himself "last call" just asked about Air Wisconsin... It sounds like you might fit right in!

Boy I hear that. Partied with an AWAC crew in BGR back in December. Great PHL crew with a cute F/A that kept up with the boys that night. Probably the same woes as any other regional.

Of those here complaining about AWAC, how many have worked at another regional to compare it to? To Those thinking of leaving, do you think you will come out ahead in any other way other than upgrade time by leaving? From the AWAC pilots I know, it seems hard to beat the contract and pay at the regional level.

I have been at AWAC for just over a year, after five years at another regional. My biggest complaint is all the whiners here. I have flown with several guys who just complain about everthing for the four days.

Does it suck having your base shut down? Yeah, I got kicked out of a base before.

Does commuting suck? Yes, I have done it most of my career, except when I moved for my airline only to get kicked out the base a year later.

Do pay cuts suck? Does management that is not totally honest with you suck? Yes, but most industries (not just most airlines) have that happening.

I just want to ask some of these guys what industry they thought they were getting into? This is the airline industry. Bases close, schedules change, labor contracts change. Been that way at least since de-regulation. Getting on with an airline, espescially a regional, and thinking things are going to be the way they are right now for the rest of your career is just plain ignorant.

I am not saying you have to enjoy these things. But for gods sake man, don't blow a gasket over every change. And PLEASE (!!!) stop telling me that ORD was never delayed, the weather was always beautiful in the midwest, and that the pilot group and management used to hold hands and sing Kumbaya around a campfire together.

Last edited:
I have been at AWAC for just over a year, after five years at another regional. My biggest complaint is all the whiners here. I have flown with several guys who just complain about everthing for the four days.

Does it suck having your base shut down? Yeah, I got kicked out of a base before.

Does commuting suck? Yes, I have done it most of my career, except when I moved for my airline only to get kicked out the base a year later.

Do pay cuts suck? Does management that is not totally honest with you suck? Yes, but most industries (not just most airlines) have that happening.

I just want to ask some of these guys what industry they thought they were getting into? This is the airline industry. Bases close, schedules change, labor contracts change. Been that way at least since de-regulation. Getting on with an airline, espescially a regional, and thinking things are going to be the way they are right now for the rest of your career is just plain ignorant.

I am not saying you have to enjoy these things. But for gods sake man, don't blow a gasket over every change. And PLEASE (!!!) stop telling me that ORD was never delayed, the weather was always beautiful in the midwest, and that the pilot group and management used to hold hands and sing Kumbaya around a campfire together.

Actually, we went 4 years without a filed grievance. So yah, it was pretty darn good for awhile. There was a sense of cooperation. Many who were here during the 2003 concessions and UAL bankruptcy feel very betrayed. It's just the way it is. It's not whining.

And it's not whining when inefficiencies in schedules are pointed out over and over and nothing changes. These inefficient schedules cost us money and that has to be reflected in bidding RFPs. So far, I think we are 0/5 in recent RFP bids. Losing the Midwest Express RFP hurts the worst I think. I was actually thinking that, if any, was the one we would get. Thought it was a great fit. But, such is life and it was not to be.

Each person has to make their own personal decision about their stay at AWAC. When I was hired over 7 years ago it was considered a "destination airline". It was even mentioned in their mission statement. But we have gone from destination airline to stepping stone. Don't know if we will ever get back to destination airline. Probably not. So don't come here thinking that.

With that said I think the positives are our contract and many new middle management people who are gaining respect from the pilot group. We have ok hourly rate with 3 hour min day, 1 for 2 duty rig, 1 for 4 trip rig (not so great but more than UAL), per diem is mediocre, but our 401k defined contribution and company match portions are pretty darn decent. I have decent sick leave bank as far as I've seen in the industry.

And one of the most hopeful things I've seen is a change in philosphy from the new CEO on trip drop requests. This is a 180 degree departure the from historical approach. This tells me that things CAN be debated and maybe changes can be made. I've told more than one person that this gives me a bit of new hope for our future. Only time will tell if that view was correct.

Right now we are awaiting the decision of the arbitrator about our concessions of 2003 and whether we will get our old contract back. "Any day now" has been the word for awhile so who knows when it will come. I hope for everyone's sanity it comes soon no matter what it is.

$.02

DiverDriver said:
And one of the most hopeful things I've seen is a change in philosphy from the new CEO on trip drop requests. This is a 180 degree departure the from historical approach. This tells me that things CAN be debated and maybe changes can be made. I've told more than one person that this gives me a bit of new hope for our future. Only time will tell if that view was correct.

I think they finally realized that there was money to be saved by approving drop requests, especially when you are paying reserves anyway and there are a bunch of them just sitting around not doing anything.

A-Men, Brother! If you dont like it...........theres the door. Just remember these are the same people who forget to mention Aurora, CO and the South Side when they beyatch how disgusting PHL is.

Each person has to make their own personal decision about their stay at AWAC. When I was hired over 7 years ago it was considered a "destination airline". It was even mentioned in their mission statement. But we have gone from destination airline to stepping stone. Don't know if we will ever get back to destination airline. Probably not. So don't come here thinking that.

I don't mind that people thought of this as a destination airline. Many people still consider it that despite everything. My complaint is guys who are bent out of shape because it isn't what is was five years ago. You're right, it isn't. What airline is. What airline was the same in 2000 as it was in 1990 or 1980? Very few. And AWAC in 2007 is very different than it was in 2000, which was very different than it was in 1990. Change is a fact of life in this industry and one that everyone who even thinks about getting into it should be aware of.

Last edited:
A-Men, Brother! If you dont like it...........theres the door. Just remember these are the same people who forget to mention Aurora, CO and the South Side when they beyatch how disgusting PHL is.

Are you f*****g kidding me? Can you even compare philly to aurora? At least we dont tolerate living in our own filth out west.

Are you f*****g kidding me? Can you even compare philly to aurora? At least we dont tolerate living in our own filth out west.

Maybe not, but for the most part much of the Denver people (not all, sorry some) tend to be more negative, untolerable people to be around for more than an hour, let alone a 4 day trip. For claiming to be "good-ol westerners", they sure slam east-coast people alot. And the funny thing is, some of these FA's we work with from the PHL area are some of the nicest people around. They never have anything bad to say about anyone. Huh, funny. I understand your pain, but dont take it out on your flight crew. And oh yeah, if I recall only Seattle out ranks Denver in bumbs/panhandlers in the US. "Will Work for Crack" signs on every freeway entrance in Denver; Colfax Ave is pretty sweet too. DIA isnt in the ghetto like PHL is.

Latest resources

Back