Air Traffic Controller

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

LearLove

Where do I go/look into if I'm interested in being a controller as a backup job. This is a stupid ? but are their part time controllers/guys who work in the tower. I doubt it but you never know.

What about a cushy job in like the ELM, ITH tower or some place like that. Are they hard to get? What kind of pay for out station type tower controller jobs?

Thanks

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you can't just get a part time controller gig. I'm not current any more, so I can't say with 100% conviction. But here's the rest:

1. You need an FAA pink card (ATC License) to get an ATC job. The only way to do this is the military, the FAA, or some college. Give up looking for an ATC job if you don't have one, or can't get one.

2. The FAA has to be hiring in that region. Very unlikely these days.

3. The other option is a private tower facility. Don't know much about these guys. Never went that route.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, but the ATC route is an all or nothing gig, not a hobby. If you are serious about it, though, go visit a tower or radar facility someday and talk to the tower chief about it. They are usually super cool and are willing to help you out if they can.

Finally, there is a web site that details ATC hiring around the world, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is. Maybe try doing a search on MSN or Yahoo or something like that.

Best of luck!!

B

P.S. Check out the FAA website, here's the link:

http://www.faa.gov/careers/employment/atc.htm

Latest resources

Back