Air National Guard

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

antney

Was wondering if anyone can give me some information on the air national guard. I was wondering how i go about to join to fly for them, or if it is that easy. Is each state different? Any information would be helpful. thanks

antney

antney said:
Was wondering if anyone can give me some information on the air national guard. I was wondering how i go about to join to fly for them, or if it is that easy. Is each state different? Any information would be helpful. thanks

antney

Air, Inc publishes a $20 ANG/Reserves Handbook. Go to www.jetjobs.com. Another place you want to go is to www.studentpilot.net. Their Military Pilot Forum is probably the best one for military pilot wannabe's and most there are Guard wannabes.

In short, applying to fly for them as a civilian is like a combination between applying for a job and rushing a fraternity in college. You submit a package of information (AFOQT scores, resume, letters of rec, transcripts, pilot's licenses, etc) to the units you want to fly for and hopefully they will select you for an interview board. You will be interviewed by a panel of officers. A great way to increase your chances of selection for both the board and the UPT slot is to go hang out on the drill weekends (once a month) when all of the part-timers are there. Make your face known and BS with the guys and gals. Flight time and ratings are great, but so are grades, other achievements, leadership experience, etc.

Units typically get 1 UPT slot per year so competition is tight and the unit is very close knit generally. They are not only choosing a pilot/officer but also a friend and someone they will have to trust in combat. Will you fit into their culture?

You can apply to as many units as you'd like. If you want to fly fighters, apply to every fighter unit. If you want F-16's only, apply to every F-16 unit. If you want C-130's, there are plenty of those units. If you don't care, do the shotgun approach. If you only want one unit, be careful about putting all of your eggs in one basket. www.ang.af.mil has a list of all of the units and their airframes.

Good luck.

Neal
Former UPT slot holder of a DCANG F-16 slot, before being medically DQ'd for a red/gree color vision issue.

Latest resources

Back