• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Methods.......Cj systems.......?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Stock broker. After 18 years of flying I could take it or leave it, Army IP/IFE, 121 PIC, all fun but not worth the personal toll of time away, especially considering the current and future state of work rules and compensation. I am leaving professional flying. I should be able to easily afford to fly for FUN now. So much for the last 18 years.........

Last edited:
Both start in the high 40's, max out in the mid to upper 50's. Then your site loses the contract and you either move and stay on the payscale or change employers and start over. Not pretty.

Thanks for the info_Only bad thing is Air Methods is the only EMS provider in certain cities like San Diego.

Yes the pay is low to start, but you do move up the ladder relatively quickly with opportunities to fly some of the newer type of aircraft out there with pay increases!! Once you are in EMS it is very hard to get out.. the job is extremely fulfilling, i love working with the people, i have made friends with people worldwide and i am just a mechanic. No I don't work for Air Methods, but for another reputable EMS operator in the Chicago area and once you are in the door with them, they do take care of you. As for the pilot positions, the requirements are so high not because of the operator, or (believe it or not) insurance companies, but due to the Medical board of that particular state. Illinois requires 3000hours Helo, 2500 PIC, 1500 IFR now who in the world other than military pilots or someone who has a lot of money is going to have that amount of time. Especially in twin turbine helicopters and IFR time. If you don't love to fly, or enjoy your job, than it is not a good career choice. The dreams of anything over $100,000 a year only come with corporate flying an S76 somewhere around New York City.

Just putting my 2 cents worth in.

Rotorhead, what was the 121 outfit you were with and what were the downsides of 121 flying there?

Wow 10 years has passed since I started this thread. I was at ACA/Independence Air. I've not flown a single day since we went Chapter 7. The stock broker thing didn't work out but it led me to law school and I now am a partner in an estate planning law firm. I pop back here to flightinfo from time to time and the threads about concessions, carrots of new equipment that never comes, union issues, crappy work rules, lousy hiring practices, scabs, and all of the fun with reserve and crew scheduling have not changed one bit. Sorry but ya'll can have it and I'll be home every night.

Latest resources

Back