Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Rotorhead

Senior Lurker & neet guy
Any comments on life on the inside of either of these companies? Benefits? Wages? Politics..........

I am considering a switch from 121 ops to EMS. Having the luxury of 3300RW 2500 PIC RW turbine in the books. Who has done and and what comments might you have?

I worked for Air Methods for 8 years in the fix wing division. I really enjoyed my time there. Good company and great equipment to fly. Maintenance is great. EMS is a very demanding occupation but very rewarding. Pay is about average, I think the pilots just unionized. Go to Airmethods.com to get the requirements for getting hired.

I am familiar with the requirements and have offers from both........just looking for insights.

I talked to the recruiter and he said that they are so short on pilots there worried.With the Vietnam era retireing and most going to fixed wing side they don't know what to do.It sounds like a great company with tons of bases and good pay.At least you will be home everyday.Good luck

If location isnt an issue, be aware the medical/dental benefits are expensive at CJSAG. They are a good company in many aspects but I noticed the pay and benefits are much better at the other big vendors, so I left CJ to work for someone else.
Summary: make sure you compare all the benefits prior to switching=medical cost and deductible(VERY pricey with 1000 dollar deductible), 401K match(2% I think), mileage reimbursement(CJ=26 cents a mile), relocation allowance(CJ-=none), and overtime pay(CJ=straight time)

Air Methods would be my choice considering they voted in a union recently.

Air Methods is a very well run business with one glaring weakness- They're absolutely clueless as to how to manage their employees- they're a small company that got big, all of a sudden. They also bought into the blankety-blank "Matrix system" of evaluating pilot compensation when they bought Rocky- your initial compensatiion is IT. For pilots, these issues are moot- there was a successful union vote a year and a half past, and a contract is in negotiation.

My experience in EMS is that the local program is a bigger factor in job satisfaction than the company, and this is especially true for AMC.

Summing it up: good company, horrible HR, and I'm optimistic on the union- they're the umbrella organization at Rucker, Air Log, and PHI. If the program you're considering looks good, AMC would be a fit.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately the super program, not requiring moving, is the CJ job and the unknown program, requiring a move, is the AMC job. Maybe I'll just keep the office job for now...... Being home and not commuting is such and unbelievable benefit. The current directions of 121 wages and workrules will keep me from ever returning. It just is NOT worth the personal toll. The right EMS job might work. Good thing is RW time is very valuable and currency does not seem to be the issue it is in the airlines.

So, may I ask, what are you going to do now? I found that all of the helo jobs starting out pay A LOT less than I make now. And they all require a bit more PIC time than I have.

Latest resources

Back